Logo

Closed system cooling benefits vs cost

scubaman

I have a 1994 volvo penta 500

I have a 1994 volvo penta 500 DP engine with a chevy 305 2bl block. My block cracked this past winter despite winterizing. Is a closed cooling system worth the investment? Are they easy to maintain since we are used to car cooling systems. Thanks

"With a new engine, I would sa

"With a new engine, I would say :go for it!! I have one in mine (a 350 Chev), and yes, they are easy to maintain. Depending on how much you use the boat you will have to send periodically the heat exchanger for "boiling" and pressure testing, and replace zinc anodes. However, the engine will last longer and save you nasty surprises like the one you have experienced."

"Before I'd do a thing, Jo

"Before I'd do a thing, John, I'd find out WHY the block cracked, otherwise... I'll bet a few errors were made.

Jeff"

The block cracked during the w

The block cracked during the winter(PA) on the alternator side. ( rt side from front) The freeze plug failed becaused it was rust welded fast. There is some water leaking from the crack area when running. There is no evidence of water in the oil. I used JB weld on the hairline crack about 6" long. It appears to be holding but I don't trust it.

Back