Logo

Mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 oil feed pipe

jansteam40

Contributing Member
hi guys did a bit of a stupid

hi guys did a bit of a stupid thing went to change my bellows on an alpha one gen two and when i pulled it forward the oil feed nipple ( where the hose/ tube connects) in the transome plate snapped off how do i get around this
thanks
any help sugestions

Sounds like the little plastic

Sounds like the little plastic coupling that breaks there. I've broken one! Isn't it the speedo tube (connects on the forward side of the drive leg)?

"the speedo tube runs up along

"the speedo tube runs up alongside the water tube so definatly the oil feed to the drive ,looks like a plastic nut with a tiny tube connection coming out the side of it
how do you get it out any ideas"

"They are very easy to break-d

"They are very easy to break-don,t ask how I know. Order fitting from Merc (it's not even an expensive part)along with a few extra E-clips (you will need them after you drop a few trying to re-install. Release the quick disconnect inside the transom (lower starboard side) for the reservoir line. An E-clip holds the fitting from the inside. If you have good access pull the clip and push out the fitting toward the outdrive. Re-install new fitting, secure with e-clip (this is the fun part), re-attach quick disconnect fitting on oil line, check outdrive oil and your good to go."

"make sure you put the oil lin

"make sure you put the oil line on before you intsall the thru transom fitting, it is a bear to install the outside oil line with the fitting already in place.
hope this helps
\allan"

"guys what can i say , old fit

"guys what can i say , old fitting now removed just waiting on new one from merc dealer
getting it out is loads of fun but here is a tip , i screwed a large coarse thread screw in to it from the outside then used a small claw hammer and mole wrench to pull it out
i will let you know how i get on refitting the new one
but for now many thanks to one and all , from cornwall england"

got another question for you a

got another question for you all there seems to be a bit of confusion between me and my buddies as to which type of anode is best for salt water zinc or aluminium
any comments thanks

Neil...

"and mole wrenc

Neil...

"and mole wrench" ??

I've never been called a mole wrench before. What is a mole wrench?

Wrench

dont know what you would call

dont know what you would call it in the states its silver with an adjustable jaw which is adjusted by a screw on the free end when you squeeze the two handles together it locks closed to open it there is a little lever between the handles
sounds a bit complicated but simple realy and a good tool

"yep that sounds about right ,

"yep that sounds about right , i think the name came from the company who make them over here
mole tools"

Sounds about right as I have a

Sounds about right as I have a set of vice grips ( wide mouth style) that are stamped "MOLE-UK" on them.

"ok guys thanks for everything

"ok guys thanks for everything so far but here's the next question .
i have just power washed the gimbal area to get rid of all those luvly barnacles , now its nice and clean what is the best thing to paint it and the outdrive with . please bear in mind im in the uk so dont know what paint is the same there as here if that makes any sense"

Use zinc anodes in saltwater.

Use zinc anodes in saltwater. The aluminum will be gone in no time. The paint for outdrive is black laquer spraypaint. If the boat is left in the water you should use anti fouling paint. There is special anti fouling paint for outdrives and outboard lower units.

"zinc anodes ok , i have tried

"zinc anodes ok , i have tried international prop o drev and trilux but just wandering if there's anything better and what is the best way to prep and apply
thanks"

Someone this past year brought

Someone this past year brought up putting chili powder in the paint. Search the archives above for chili powder or pepper.

Guy...

That was for trying

Guy...

That was for trying to keep zebra muscles from latching on and growing into a whole bunch more.

Any word from Peter down in Oz?

Wrench

Wrench:

No word from Peter

Wrench:

No word from Peter yet. Must have changed emails. Maybe the chili pepper will work on barnacles too.

"just an update on this i mana

"just an update on this i managed to get the circlip on first time and here's how . soft solder it to a long screwdriver (very log ) and just pop it on , you need to solder it on at the right angle and only use a small amount of solder because the solder is quite weak just twist the driver of the clip when its in place , hope this will help some one at some time
see ya"

Back