Logo

1979 57 HELP

joshk08

"I'm considering buying a

"I'm considering buying a 1979 20' Somerset Runabout with a 350 4bbl engine. The current owner says the water manifold was cracked on the left side, but could be welded. This would be my first boat, any advice on repair and cost would be appreciated, as well as all opinions.

Thanks,
Josh"

"What else is cracked? Why wou

"What else is cracked? Why would it only crack the manifold? Being a first time boater,you make a easy target. Don't ask me how I know.Leak,leak,leak.
The most overlooked part of buying a boat is the fact that it is NOT an unreasonable request to ask for an in water test. Sure you will pay for all expenses but it will not only show you other flaws but how much it cost to operate. No honest seller can refuse. Forget testing on ear-muffs.
Slap some silicon sealer or JB weld for a temp fix. Go do a in water test. A 79 boat can hide a lot of problems. What else was neglected. Don't feel pressured into this sale. There are so many boats out there. Ya might spend more $$ but may find a low hours, old guys boat, that is pristine."

The manifold needs to be repl

The manifold needs to be replaced. It is made of cast iron and cast iron doesnt weld very well. it also may have internal cracks.

Make sure you have a compression test run on the engine as manifolds often result in water ingestion and subsequent engine issues.

Back