Logo

Coil supply voltage

river_city

"Greetings Have a '77 Sear

"Greetings Have a '77 Searay 350 250 hp. Mercruiser. Trying to figure out whether or not the resister wire has been bypassed. Two wires going to the coil on pos. side: one from starter solonoid for 12+ volts for starting. Ok no problem . The other line ,according to schematic in manual comes from ignition switch goes to electric choke , splits and feeds coil through a resister wire. Only problem is I don't have an electric choke.With switch turned on, wires off pos coil terminal going through a voltmeter, I should see 9-10 volts right? Only problem is I'm seeing 13+ volts and premature point failure. Any suggestions? Thanks"

"Sounds like you've got it

"Sounds like you've got it figured out. Either wire through a resistor, or buy a 12 volt coil and be done with that nonsense. There's lots of really 'hot' 12 volt coils (like Mallory) that produce a terrific spark.

Jeff"

Thanks Jeff. Guess what you me

Thanks Jeff. Guess what you mean by a hot 12 volt coil is one that's got an internal resister? It gets hot to touch and puts out a nice spark as well?

Whoops! Bad choice of words.

Whoops! Bad choice of words. What I meant was a "high performance" 12 volt coil. Hot rod suppliers make a bunch of them that give great spark without that silly ballast resistor system.

Jeff

"That's because they don&#

"That's because they don't have those goofy points. I guess it was a workable solution back when it came out but I think the marine industry should have abandoned them long before they did. OTOH, it's just a matter of adjusting the windings if a more traditional coil system is used to get more output before the output falls off but that would have required more research (and $$$$$) on the part of the big manufacturers. I would bet that it was the smaller companies, racers and hot rodders who really spearheaded the high output ignition systems."

"..."I would bet that it w

"..."I would bet that it was the smaller companies, racers and hot rodders who really spearheaded the high output ignition systems."

And you would win! All kinds of great stuff has come from auto racing.

Jeff"

I have a question; would any c

I have a question; would any coil work with the MC Thunderbolt IV aplifier? Do you need one with special impeadance?

Back