Logo

1970 16b Seasport 155 Running on muffs

meanole_dad

"I have never ran a boat on mu

"I have never ran a boat on muffs before. Can you help with:
How much hose pressure/volume?
How will I know if the outdrive water pump is working?
I want to run long enough to adjust the rebuilt carb,adjust dwell & timming.
Iknow to keep the RPMs below 1500, but is there anything I should lookout for that would be different than running it in water?
Thanks
Ted"

"Depends on water supply press

"Depends on water supply pressure, a good flow should be about three full turns on hose-bib. Check the flow before attaching to muffs if need more then add a full turn to get better flow before starting. Also be sure to put over intake port securely outdrive down completely and prop is free to rerate or remove."

"OK, lets assume that I have g

"OK, lets assume that I have good volume/pressure at the muff and that the muff is properly attached.
When I start the engine, if I have good flow to the engine can I assume the outdrive water pump is working or could the engine get enough water from the muff to fool me into thinking the outdrive water pump is working?
Thanks
Ted"

You could check the outdrive i

You could check the outdrive impeller first to insure that all blades are intact. Otherwise keep an eye on Temp gauge as you will know in about (2) two minuets if it's running hot. Smoke from the out drive will indicate low water pressure as your impeller is melting and temp gauge not working. Anyone else have ideas feel free to jump in.

"the hose will mask a weak imp

"the hose will mask a weak impeller. Replace impeller every 3 or 4 years. If have no history on the impeller, replace it."

"Pardon my ignorance, but wher

"Pardon my ignorance, but where does the Buick 225 engine gain its' cooling water from? It is a Stringer type.

I have inspected the Leg, and cannot for the life of me see where the transfer from the Sea Water can get into the engine cooling passages.

Is there some hidden transfer passage that one cannot actually see with the eye?

I see the Water Intake on the leading edge of the Leg, but no transfer passage from the Leg to the Transfer case, to the Block. Lots of hoses around the Block, Exhaust Manifolds and Intake Manifold, but nothing to join them up.

Thanks,

Bruce."

Back