Logo

Mercruiser 470 starter removal

J

Joseph Smith

"I need to replace the starter

"I need to replace the starter on a Mercruiser 470 I/O. I have removed both mounting nuts and the bracket. However, I cannot budge the starter. It acts as if there's another nut holding it but I know there isn't. Does anyone have an idea why it won't come off or have any suggestions on what I could try?"

how old is the old starter...i

how old is the old starter...it may be just stuck ...did you tap it with a hammer? i just replaced mine on my 170...it was just stuck

"Any luck getting the starter

"Any luck getting the starter off? I ask because I'm in the same situation. I have the nuts about half way off and have removed the lower mounting bracket. I'm trying to loosen the starter, but it won't budge at all. I've tapped it with an 8 pound cannon ball, but no luck yet. I'm getting ready to really give it a whack, but I'm not sure."

"I just re & re'd mine

"I just re & re'd mine. No problems...thank god...
There are only the two bracket mounting bolts below the forward end of the starter and the two through bolts that go through the starter and bellhousing. You might be able to pry it a bit if you can place a wrecking bar vertically down from the head ( at a bit if an angle ) and pry the starter away from the block. If I remember last night correctly , this would be better than hitting it down ( based on how the starter engages and where the open area is...)
just my 2 cents.."

Back