Logo

37l 1988 mercruiser engine what is approx engine life

gcu3

I have a 25ft bertram running

I have a 25ft bertram running twin 3.7 (165hp) engines. The engines have been well maintained with regular servicing. They now have just under 1300hours. With all the correct servicing what would be the approx engine life (hours) of these engines.

"[b]"With all the correct

""With all the correct servicing what would be the approx engine life (hours) of these engines."

Ayuh,...

That's a Unknown,....
Those motors were pretty Quirky,+ have been out of production for 20 years...."

"Well.... Usually most folks o

"Well.... Usually most folks only expect about 1000 hrs or so from raw water cooled engines running in sea water. Fresh water cooled i.e., with a heat exchanger and antifreeze in the block and 160 degree (or higher) T'stats have a "par" life of about 3000 hrs. Of course in order to fend off a pile of emails of folks saying... "my....(ran or failed) and whatever"
I'm quick to add that these numbers are only the grossest of generalities. What is important to realize that engines "fail" for lots of reasons, i.e., replacing that exhaust manifold a day too late... running around at 90% of WOT all the time, having the wrong prop on...etc..etc..
It's not just the maintenace of the engine, but the use. I think that engines conservatively run over 100 hrs/year will run longer (hrs) than one that is run only 10hrs/yr.

Keeping ahead of the riser, manifold and water pump failures, i.e., replace before they fail and flushing with fresh water (if run in sea water...which I assume you are given that your email indicates you are from "down under")
on a frequent basis will extend engine life to the point that you are looking at ring wear as the limiting factor.

If you need new engines, I don't think there are a lot of options for 25 Berts (I used to have one..sigh...) as the spacing between the engines won't allow replacement of the inline 6's with V engines... Some have put 4 cylinder engines in with the slight loss in HP somewhat offset by the lighter engine weight. Which 25Bert do you have? I had the "soft top"."

Back