Logo

Trim Guage

timmyboy

"hello everyone.... just look

"hello everyone.... just looking for a trouble shooting start point. I have a 1989 VIP with the V8 Ford 302 engine.... everything is running great but I am trying to finish off some of the little bothersome things. My trim gauge does not function. The lower unit moves up and down without any issue but I have no idea where it is in the water. Do you think this is a bad gauge or bad wiring? Again, just looking for a place to start. Thank you."

"Most likely you have a defect

"Most likely you have a defective trim sender but first thing to check is for 12v at the gauge. With the key turned on check the blue wire which goes from gauge to gauge supplying 12v. If that's ok then pull the sender wire off (could be brown or brown/white) turn the key on and check the gauge for movement, if nothing then take a short jumper wire and ground one end and touch the other to the sender terminal and turn key on. If still nothing then reach behind the engine looking for a twin wire coming through the transom mount that has a 2 pin connector on it and separate it. Then use an ohm meter to check the resistance of the sender. In the up position it should be around 170 ohms and in the down should be around 10 ohms. Note...the senders are now about impossible to find!"

"I had the same problem with m

"I had the same problem with my 87 VIP last year, turned out to be the sender... I got mine from Owen's Marine, if you need one try calling them, 603-622-3000 they are in NH mine cost $110. Hope this helps"

Back