Logo

Will a 1979 57Llock be a direct replacement for a b94 57L

jtoma878

Contributing Member
"I have a 94 Bayliner Ciera 24

"I have a 94 Bayliner Ciera 2455 with a Mercruiser 5.7L motor. I was able to locate a complete rebuilt motor at a great price, but it is a 1979 block. This motor comes with everything except for carb, p/s pump, alternator, pulleys, pretty much bolt on parts.

My question is, will these parts from my 1994 motor bolt right on to the 1979 block, or are the mounting holes/brackets different? I'd hate to have this thing shipped across the country and find I cant use it.

Also, what about the rear of the motor? Will it bolt up to my outdrive? What exactly should I be asking the seller or what should I be looking for to check compatability?

All responses are appreciated!!!!"

"here is the description of th

"here is the description of the motor:

Rebuilt 350 Chevy Mercruiser motor 260HP. 1979 Block Flat top pistons New Rings New Bearings New Crank Double roller timing chain High volume oil pump. Heads were reconditioned. Comes with flywheel, starter, and exhaust risers.

Thanks!"

"Parts that are different betw

"Parts that are different between the years listed. Flywheel (there are 2 diameters of both early and late style) dipstick, oilpan, intake manifold, valve covers. All the accessory and mounting holes including the back of the block are the same with the exception of the front of the starboard head. The starboard head will have only one bolt hole in the front end. It will be the upper outer location just below the valve cover near the outer edge of the head. The location for this hole is the same on all 350 chevy. Late model engines have 2 additional holes in the front of starboard head. If you have V-belts with alt and PS on port side it should work. If you have serpentine belt it probably won't work. If the engine has the wrong diameter flywheel your coupler won't bolt up. If starter has one short mounting bolt (outside) and one long mounting bolt flywheel is 12.5 inches. If both bolts are same length and staggered flywheel is 14 inches."

"James-

Thanks for your inp

"James-

Thanks for your input. Now if the 79 motor already comes with the dipstick, oil pan, intake, and valve covers, then I should be ok, right? I mean, I wont have to swap any parts from the 94 motor. Now I have looked at pics of the 79 motor, and you are right, there is only the one bolt hole on the starboard head. Now your saying that if the 94 motor uses v-belts, and PS / Alt is on port side, then I should be ok?

Guess the last question is the flywheel. I don't know what size is in the 94 motor, but I can ask the seller about the size on the 79 motor but if it is not the same size as the one on the 94, can those flywheels be swapped or is this a deal breaker?

Thanks again!"

"Ayuh,...

Why are you tryin

"Ayuh,...

Why are you trying to set yourself up for Disaster,..??
There's Alot of differences between these motors,...
As noted, the accessory holes are Different,...
The Crankshafts are Different,...
Hi-volume Oil Pumps are not used in Marine motors,...
The Flywheels are Different, even if they happen to be the Same diameter...And they're Not Interchangeable....

If you forget about the Old 79 motor,+ hunt down a 96 or Newer motor,...
It'll bolt Right up,+ you'll get the newer improved Vortec heads, which are good for about 20+hp...

All without the frustration of trying to cob together parts that Don't Fit Together...."

"Why? Because I can get one he

"Why? Because I can get one hell of a deal on a rebuilt motor with 0 hours, that's why. Plus I am on a tight budget. Of course I know getting a more recent motor would be better, but like I said, it's almost too good to be true. So if I make sure it's as compatabile as possible, and the few parts I have to bolt on do in fact fit, then I'm good to go..... I can care less about the 20 extra horse."

"[b]"but like I said, it&#

""but like I said, it's too good to be true."

Ayuh,.... That it Is....

You're stepping over Dollar$ to pick up Pennies..."

"JoeT:

Caveat emptor: buyer

"JoeT:

Caveat emptor: buyer beware!

Nobody on this board is trying to knock you down. All of us know there is no better teacher than learning by one's own mistake! We have all been in your position at times in our lives. My favorite quote is from W.C. Fields: "Never give a sucker an even break".

These guys are advising you from eons of experience w/a multitude of engine experience. It has been there livelihood for years. The seller of the engine is probably an honest joe but can't unload his engine because there are not many buyers looking for it. It MAY WORK for your boat but the guys are trying to advise you that a multitude of fit problems will come with it. Good luck.
sun.gif
"

"Ok. I appreciate the feedback

"Ok. I appreciate the feedback. Although I was hopeful, it looks like I got the answers I needed, even though it's not what I wanted to hear. I really do thank you guys for the help though.

What is the earliest / latest model year for me to look for?"

"[b]"What is the earliest

""What is the earliest / latest model year for me to look for?"

Ayuh,... 1987 to current production....

Even those motors have Differences, but are reasonanly easy to overcome..."

87 to 95 use same intake manif

87 to 95 use same intake manifold. 96 up with vortec heads use a different intake manifold with 8 attaching bolts instead of 12. 96 and up uses an external water pump bypass hose instead of the internal passage coming down from the head through the block to the back of the water pump (that exta hole on the starboard side). I am in the middle of a swap that is the reverse of the one Joe T is asking about. I removed a 77 block with 84 heads and replacing it with 91 block with 97 vortec internals and heads.

"ok guys, back again....

ov

"ok guys, back again....

over the past few days in my search and figuring out of what I am going to do, I came across another motor I have a question about.

This gentleman has a professionally rebuilt (he is an engine shop) 350 mercruiser motor. This motor is complete, with all bolt on parts from carb to pan, p/s, alt, starter, even bellhousing and coupler. I am able to get a great price on it.

It seems the block is from the early 80's. However, the heads and intake manifolds are updated (bolts down center of valve cover).

My question is this. Being that this is a COMPLETE motor, and I don't have to worry about my external parts bolting up, will I run into the same issues as mentioned earlier in this thread?

I appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks!!!

Joe"

"the motor is coming from ohio

"the motor is coming from ohio. i am getting it shipped here for under 2k and the seller is giving me a one year warranty. i am having it installed for 500. will it plug and play? i figure with a complete motor, i could even sell off some of the usable parts from my current bad motor to recover maybe 3 or 400 bucks. what do you think?"

"The reason hi-vol pumps are n

"The reason hi-vol pumps are not used is that a standard pump will work with the 4 qt pan and keep oil pumping, the hi-vol pump will pump the 4 qts up into the motor and the oil will not return to the pan in time . hence, no oil flow and it`s open the checkbook time ."

Back