Logo

Can I swap omc 57 for an omc 58

jlevac

"Hi, I need to replace my 1988

"Hi, I need to replace my 1988 omc 5.7 (on a 1988 fourwinns vista 245). I found a great 1990 omc 5.8L. Is it an easy swap? Drop in and play or is there anything I should know?
Thanks"

"Ayuh,..

Other than your ta

"Ayuh,..

Other than your taking a step Backwards,...

Going from a Chevy, which is still used by Everybody as a Marine Motor,...
To a Ford, which Nobody is using anymore...

As far as the Swap,...
It'll be Fine, If you have Every Single Piece that's necessary for the Ford,...
Nothing from your current set-up is useable...."

I was looking at that same mot

I was looking at that same motor on ebay for my 5.0 slowpoke....

When you say make sure you have everthing for the motor...what about from where the engine mounts to the Cobra outdrive?

Is this a pain in the as$ or will it bolt up?.....OR Is it just better to find a nice 5.7 and be done with it?

"Hey Al,...

If you're l

"Hey Al,...

If you're lookin' to replace a 5.0l SBC, with another...

A 350 long block is the way to Go,...
So long as the acilleraries on your 305 are useable....

All the bolt holes Should be right where you need them....

jean is going from SBC to SBF...."

"Thanks Bondo...The 305 runs p

"Thanks Bondo...The 305 runs perfectly...It is just SLOW as can be to the point of annoying !

Bought the boat 4-5 years ago for a very cheap $3500. It was probably worth 8 or 9K but there is absolutley nothing wrong. We redid the upholstery ourselves with a kit and it looks new. Had Lila's make a camper top for it and we use the Silverton because IT KNOWS HOW TO GET OUT OF IT's own way !

I have played with the idea of this change for 2 years and still have not yet figured out the best way to go. After all...Those Crusaders were quite time consuming. And then after they were running, they ran so well we didn't stop using it !

I still would prefer a cheap drop in 5.7 or something along those lines ...JUST for the time savings alone."

Back