Logo

1987 gm 4 cyl carb question

starsh1p

Regular Contributor
"Guys,
Last fall I aquired a

"Guys,
Last fall I aquired a 1987 Galaxy Classic with a recently rebuilt engine or at least a new block. I havent had much time to check it out all that well because winter creaped up real fast. I winterized it and covered it up till spring. Before winterizing I did get it started to be sure that it would. It seemed to idle smoothly which was a good sign so I just shut it down and proceeded to clean it up and get it ready for a long winter sleep. One thing I noticed is that after shutting it off, fuel kept running thru the carb for a few minutes. This is not normal is it? what could be the cause of this? Like I said I havent had much time to look it over yet so just asking so I know where to start. Also the fuel in the tank is probly about two years old. Even tho it had conditioner put in I am going to drain and replace it. What else do you suggest I do? I plan on replacing the plugs, wires filters etc. Should the pump and carb be ok as far as shellacing is concerned ? Thanks"

If the engine ran good then th

If the engine ran good then the "OLD" carb is leaking from casting plugs. Buy a reman. carb. The fuel is diluting the oil which may be why it was rebuilt.

"Thanks Guy, just so we are on

"Thanks Guy, just so we are on the same page, when I said the fuel kept running thru the carb I ment if I look down into the carb I could see fuel running down into the throat of the carb. And of course I could smell the fuel. Thanks again"

Mike:

That is what I though

Mike:

That is what I thought you meant. The fuel is emptying out from the bowl. Is the engine a 140 or the cantankerous 470?

"[b]"One thing I noticed i

""One thing I noticed is that after shutting it off, fuel kept running thru the carb for a few minutes. This is not normal is it? what could be the cause of this? "

Nope,... It's not normal,...

The carb might be rebuildable,.. if not,.. Replace it..."

"Thanks guys, first of all I m

"Thanks guys, first of all I made a mistake stating that it is a 1987 it actualy is a 1984. No idea how I typed that incorrectly. Guy, using the seriel number to i.d. the engine it is listed as a mcm140r. Any idea what the r means since there is a mcm140 and a mcm140r. Also any comments about the old gas question? Thanks again"

"Mike, you may have a float th

"Mike, you may have a float that is taking on gas which makes the fuel level too high in the bowl and that lets the gas run out. I think that if the plugs are leaking, then the gas would drip into the intake manifold and not down the throat. If the float is brass, you should be able to shake it and hear the gas in it. If it is a fiber type material, press on it with your thumb nail and if gas is present in the indetention, the float absorbing gas and letting too much gas into the bowl. If the gas leaking out of the carb isn't a very large amount,the engine will still idle pretty well."

"Thanks for the info Steve. Se

"Thanks for the info Steve. Seeing that the carb is 25 years old (maybe) I might just take previous advise and replace it with a reman.
Guy, as for the "R" in the mcm 140R I have read some in the manual and as far as I can see the 140 is an older version and the 140R is a newer version. Seem to be alot alike with some exceptions such as shaft length and the manual says that an old stern drive from a 140 cannot be used with a newer 140R at least without modifications. There are a few differences but mostly like throttle linkages and other things associated with connecting the engine to the stern drive. Thats the best that I can tell from an hour of studying the manual at least. thanks guys"

Back