Logo

Gimbal lower swivel pin 1966 Type M

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"You folks have really helped

"You folks have really helped out and I would like to start out by saying, "Thank you."
I am moving along with my re-build and thought best to ask before proceeding. This is where I am at.
I have the gimbal house on the bench and have removed the Bell. The wear on the gimbal ring is out of spec per both manuals I reference. I have the upper gimbal swivel pin loose and I am preparing to remove the lower gimbal pin. Both manuals show that the lower pin is a press fit and instruct the user to use a drive pin to drive it out. Looks like there is suppose to be a cotter pin in the lower swivel. There is a clean hole but no pin.
Just wanted a word from anyone that may have done this before.
Looks like I may have the picture thing worked out.
249159.jpg
Lower swivel pin

"Hi not if you had any luck wi

"Hi not if you had any luck with removing pin - I posted this last week but for some reason it never got though-
I recently had cause to remove the gimbal ring on my Bravo 2 drive, I am not sure if the Alpha’s are similar but something I found, was that after removing the cotter pin.
I made a brass drift up so not to damage the pin, which I believe is made of aluminium or a aluminium alloy. I spend some time trying to drive it carefully from the top, it simply wouldn’t budge.
I they tried driving out from the bottom and it came out easily, the pin doesn’t seem to be tapered or has a step in it.
Some of the other guys will know it the Alpha drive lower swivel pins are the same or similar to the Bravo 2’s"

"Hey keverno,
After my son qu

"Hey keverno,
After my son questioned my boat-hoodness and I insisted he cover the costs of any accidents, we moved on.
Like your work we made up a soft pin. We followed the manual and drifted down from the top side. The first couple of strikes were solid and didn't give much. Once the housing set down in the jig and we lined up, the pin came out clean. I am sure we ran a long line of luck that the pin wasn't worn or bent.
Anyhow, we are disassembled and ready for cleanup, paint and assembly. For this small part anyway.
Regards,
Cllllord"

Back