Logo

Have a lowerunit before i buy a boat

draven620

Regular Contributor
"the drive is a 1984 mercruise

"the drive is a 1984 mercruiser mcm470 of ebay the descrip says "This is a project boat as the I/O runs and shifts very well, cooling system works but steering is a little tight and doghouse is damaged."Does the steering problem sound like a easy fix or should i stay away from buying it."

"michael knapp:

Glad you as

"michael knapp:

Glad you asked here.
light_bulb.gif
It is a "project boat" that he is tired of fooling with; probably a nightmare 470! With all due respect to you; since you are asking then I will advise you to leave it and run. Get a boat that isn't a "project boat" or could become one. Take a marine-smart person with you when you look. Have the boat surveyed when you've decided to buy so you'll really know what you are getting. Too many eBay boat buyers have come here before and after their purchase. Those that bought first wished they didn't have to learn the lesson post sale."

It is actually a boat from the

It is actually a boat from the rawhide boys ranch in wisconsin if that makes any diffrence.

"It's not from a ranch.. s

"It's not from a ranch.. sounds like a charity like boatangel. They don't handle the boat.
The way it appears these charities work:

If you are sick of your p.o.s. boat - instead of paying to push it in a landfill, you just virtually donate it..get a tax receipt...then they auction it for you.
Auction winner picks it up from your house.

Don't buy a boat with a 470."

"The 470 was a real mess. Coul

"The 470 was a real mess. Could'nt keep a crankshaft. 170 hp out of a 4 cyl in that day. Not long after that, the 4.3 6 cyl came out with 175 hp. Boats should be purchaced for the drive not the boat. I was burned before I learned.
Carl"

"You guys are so predjudice! G

"You guys are so predjudice! Geez. ANY boat that hasn't been taken care of will be a POS doesn't matter what engine is in it. As a matter of fact I find that the 470 seems to handle cold winters way better than the 4.3L chevy around here, and it aint even that cold here! There has been a rash of 'fixer' boats for sale lately with 4.3L and 5.7L with cracked blocks. They're a dime a dozen.

My 470 runs like a top and I would definitely buy another one but I would make sure it's been properly maintained and taken care of first.

And remember a project boat even if it's free can cost you a lot more to fix than it's worth. I think we've all been there before. If you want a good boat there are plenty in this day and age of financial crisis that people are selling for practically food on the table and for very cheap. When it comes to a boat you need to get over that "I can fix this poor thing up for cheap" mentality and go buy the shiny new looking one."

"[b]"You guys are so predj

""You guys are so predjudice! Geez. ANY boat that hasn't been taken care of will be a POS doesn't matter what engine is in it."

Nope,..
It's got Nothing to do with prejudice, nor is it 470 Bashing,...

All of the Posters here will do all they can to help out the folks trying to Fix their 470s,...
This thread by Michael is asking about a Potential purchase,...
Not a problem with something he owns...

Just because you're still in denial about the virtues of owning the 470, Merc.'s redheaded bastard step-child, that was only produced a few years, 20 Years Ago,...
Doesn't mean that telling a Potential Boater to go Buy the POS is a Good Thing to do,....

That just leads to Another POS boat rotting in somebody's backyard,...
And,..
Another Potential Boater who's then a Former Boater,...

Turned off from Our chosen pastime because he bought a driveline with Well Known Design Issues....

Ayuh,...
It's just plain ole Common Sense,...
No prejudice, No Bashing,..."

"Bondo you sound a little grou

"Bondo you sound a little grouchy maybe you should get out on the water. Maybe you're not predjudice but Biased with a capital B. The virtues of the 470 are a actually great. A small volume light weight motor that puts out respectable HP and sips very little fuel. What the hell is wrong with that?

Last summer gas at the dock was $5 gal. I was pretty happy I had my 470 instead of a V8. We went just as many places, just as fast and at half the cost. And I have yet to crack my block over a cold winter for which I would always be suspect of a 4.3L. The repairs cost about the same and are expensive either way. I am much happier with the 470 then the Volvo Penta AQ140 I had a couple years ago. That was a tempermental POS if thee ever was one.

All it comes down to is maintenance and proper care. If the boat got it, no matter what engine it came with will be a pretty good boat. If it didn't get it, then, no matter what engine it came with, will probably be a POS. But you just spout off that if it's a 470 it MUST be a POS. You old farts and your V8 chevies, from what I've read on this forum and others they break down just as much suck a lot of fuel and cost just as mush to fix. Talk about denial. And it aint just a river in Egypt."

"[i]All it comes down to is ma

"All it comes down to is maintenance and proper care. If the boat got it, no matter what engine it came with will be a pretty good boat.

True.
But that is an exact opposite description from the boat being discussed in this thread. This is a boat being donated to save landfill tipping fees.

It is advertised as a "project boat" and sold with zero accountability from seller to purchaser.

Buying a "project boat" can be a great way to save some money and learn about wrenching and boat repair.

However, a project boat with a Fordcruiser is not advisable.

Chevy small block V8/Mercruiser project- Yes
Chevy V6/Mercruiser project - Maybe
Ford 224/Mercruiser project- No
OMC anything project -No
Volvo Penta -No

Even though VP makes the best drives and would be my first choice for a well maintained boat...
there is ONLY ONE way to get into a project and that's Chevy/Mercruiser...

Here's why--- for your ChevcruiserV8, you can buy:
A brand NEW drive for $1200 bux
NEW Manifold and riser sets for $400
NEW Long Block Crate engines for $1400

Pretty much a whole brand new drivetrain for about the price of one exhaust manifold and riser for Mr. Kelso's B30 VP

Brand new engine, brand new drive, brand new exhaust...
A bit of plywood and some sweat equity to turn rotten floors into new ones...

You can have a better than new boat for 1/4 the price. Now we're talking fun project!!!!!"

"By the way guys, Rawhide is l

"By the way guys, Rawhide is less than an hour away here. They are a charity that takes donated cars, boats, etc. The disadvantaged youth at Rawhide clean up and do some minor repairs to the cars and boats that are donated. They are then auctioned off. A little different than boatangel in that they actually take posession of the donations, and do some work on them."

well thank you everybody for k

well thank you everybody for keeping me well informed i ended up getting a newer boat a 1985 merc i do not know what kind because i havent picked it up yes but it looks like a good boat and deal.

Back