Logo

Carb questions

despy

Regular Contributor
"Presently have a 2bbl on a 35

"Presently have a 2bbl on a 351 ford (Merc233).Was the Merc 255 the same only with a 4 bbl?
Next question, If cruising a 3000 rpm would a 4 bbl be running on 2 or 4 venturies?
The reason I`m asking is that almost 10% power increase would make quite a difference pushing my 24 ft Fibreform boat. I was running a 15 1/2x 17 p prop and it was a little slow out of the hole so I switched to a 16x16p and it comes out of the hole great but have lost about 4 mph at cruising speed. Maybe I`m thinking wrong but it seems that having the 4 bbl to give me that extra umph out of the hole would allow me to go back to the 15 1/2 x 17p prop which was easier on gas at cruising speed but if all 4 bbl`s would be open at cruise, I would again lose that economy factor of the prop.
Any opinions welcome.
Tks"

"Ayuh,...

A properly setup

"Ayuh,...

A properly setup 4bbl. should be able to Cruise on only the primaries..."

"Compliments of Rod Stewart, C

"Compliments of Rod Stewart, Canada.

Insert the data about your boat to get the right prop. If you want a 4 blade drop down 1 pitch. A 4 blade may be what you want to try since it is good out of the hole and won't KILL top end but will affect it some.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msexcel.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.ms-excel"">prop finder
[url=""][b]Copy of Copy_of_Boat_Speed_Finder-79780-193827.xls[/b][/url] (26.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

Back