Logo

1987 Ski Centurion Refurb

rellis1962

"Here are some pics of my Ski

"Here are some pics of my Ski Centurion after a little work.
New floor
New seat frames
New foam and upholstery
New carpet
New Steering Cable

New Manifold & Risers
New Upper and Lower Stat housing
New hoses
New rear mounts
New shaft coupler
New Plug Wires
Upgraded to Electronic Ignition
New Flame Arrestor
and More...

It runs great! I have one question, I do not think the starter is marine grade. How can I tell for sure? The starter has been on it since I bought the boat in 2002 and has worked fine but I would like to make sure it is marine grade and if not change it out.

http://photobucket.com/1987_Ski_Centurian"

Marine starter has a spark scr

Marine starter has a spark screen behind the starter drive (the gear that engages the flywheel). This is there to keep sparks that come from the brushes away from from fuel vapors in bilge. If you remove starter and look inside the opening where the gear is you should be able to see it down inside. A good starter shop can rebuild the starter much cheaper than a new one.

You are confusing a starter wi

You are confusing a starter with an alternator. All starters are completely sealed and require no venterlation openings because the only work for a very short period of time. If you keep cranking on a starter because the engine won't start you'll burn it out. An alternator is working the entire time an engine is running. It has ventalation openings and a marine version has spark screens on the openings for saftey reasons.

Back