Logo

470 alternator

txny13

Regular Contributor
"has any one tried one of thos

"has any one tried one of those alternator conversion kits for the 470 so you can get rid of the costly stator, or has some one made a conversion for theres, iam looking at maybe making me one but not sure on the wiring part of it any thoughs ,thanks john/ ps i know they sell them on ebay but $300 no way"

They work great per those that

They work great per those that have installed them. Get a 60 amp single wire MARINE alternator and attach it to the large wire going to the battery. Make sure you have a spare pulley for the belt on the crankshaft. Someone sells the brackets from this board. You can make one from a junked car bracket.

"I have been looking into the

"I have been looking into the same conversion for my 3.7lx (470). I have power steering so I think it might be a little more difficult to fabricate. I'm afraid that over time it might damage the aluminum thread holes in timing cover and or block if alternator and bracket is not secured properly. Also, with power steering, the alternator is mounted at front lower port side of engine. I heard that 470's can shake and or vibrate alot when cold. I have never heard one of these engines run and cant' wait to finish, but with economy the way it is it looks like I'll be lucky to be in the water late next season. Breezeworks forum under 470's sells the kits you are talking about, but you are looking at $400.00 for one with power steering. I think that will be the route that I take because I cant afford broken or stripped out studs. I am sure it wouldn't be impossible to make brackets for 470 without power steering but it looks more difficult to fabricate brackets for the one with power steering pump. I think it is all run on one long belt. best of luck with the project, Tom McGee"

"if i got a 100 amp will it hu

"if i got a 100 amp will it hurt anything, ive seen alts out there marine ones in the 100 amp one wire size for about $70 bucks ,so any damage ?"

100 amps requires a 4 ga wire

100 amps requires a 4 ga wire which is huge....and a 100A breaker upgrade....

anything less and you are risking a fire

100A is A bit hard on your battery too if you happen to kill it and boost the boat to get it going - the alt. immediately slaps 100A to a dead battery... it's gonna gas and stink and 100A can even melt the lead straps between cells in some batteries.
It also draws nearly 2HP at full output. That's serpentine belt territory..a single vee belt could have an issue with the small dia pulley on a marine alternator

"John, the 100 amp alternator

"John, the 100 amp alternator won't hurt anything. I am running two 470's with alternator conversions on them; one with the high mount and one with the low mount for engines with power steering. I have not had any problems with either type. One note is that if you have more than one battery charging from a single alternator you should look into installing a battery combiner. A regular battery isolator will not properly charge multiple batteries with a single wire alternator. The cost of replacing the old original system is just about a wash with the conversion. The conversion is more reliable and you can get a new alternator just about anywhere if you need to. Check around on the internet for more information and pricing you might just be surprised."

"so if i get a 60 amp alt sing

"so if i get a 60 amp alt single and all is good ,do i take off the stator ,or is that all i have to do"

Leave the stator where it is a

Leave the stator where it is and disconnect any 12 vdc going to/from it.

Back