Logo

Bilge pump thoughts

baba_bluey

Regular Contributor
I have a 22'2 aquasport. I

I have a 22'2 aquasport. It has one of those Rule little square jobs in it. i want to put something bigger in though. Any suggestions on which one? I got room to put a big boy in.

"I have a 22 seasport, the mai

"I have a 22 seasport, the main bilge pump is a 2000 GPH pump, I just put in a 2nd 1500 GPH pump which is just hooked up to a push pull switch/no auto float. That one is just for emerg backup...the boat used to have a masturator pump which I never used..it stopped working..the plumbing was still there so I made use of it with the 2nd pump. Think of your pump capcity in terms of how much water you could take on board in the waters you operate in. Big water and big open cockpit means potential for a big greeny filling her up. The longer your boats sits low in the water while water is pumped increases the likelyhood the engines get submerged and your problem gets worse. I personally think that there should be some cosmetically ok larger scuppers made for smaller boats with large open cockpits so that water can be dumped almost immediatly. Scuppers that could be locked closed in good water or at the dock and opened in bad water."

"Ed:

Don't forget these

"Ed:

Don't forget these items, too:

Route for discharge hose and discharge fitting. if you don't have room to put in the correctly sized plumbing to handle what the pump provides. no point in spending the money on the bigger pump.

Wiring - if you are going to reuse what is there, find the limiting factor and make sure the new pump doesn't exceed it. I suggest a thorough inspection to make sure it is in satisfactory condition before you swap the pump...nothing worse than doing a bang-up job only to redo it later that same afternoon.

Rollie's point of having redundant systems is worth considering if you venture into 'remote' areas; ocean, or any large body of water where there isn't a lot of traffic."

Thanks for the info Mark. I&#3

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm gonna leave the smaller pump in the boat for back-up. Gonna start all new with the bigger pump. Switch/smooth line/straight fitting right out the back of the transom.

"also
no bilge pump will be b

"also
no bilge pump will be big enough to stop water from coming in, unless a slow leak"

Back