Logo

Volvo penta aq131c

"I bought boat a couple of day

"I bought boat a couple of days ago and took boat out for first time. Within 5 five minutes boat was overheating bad and water was coming out of heater exchange cap. oil pressure was maxed out as well. Replaced sea pump, impellar and seals. Tested boat with ears and ran fine. Didnt over heat. Took boat out on lake yesterday and boat was fine at idle. Started to get hot while on plane and smoking really bad from exhaust. (white smoke) Just want to know what could be the issue, and if anyone has a cooling system diaram for this motor. Is there something that could be in the outdrive, and is there a thermostat? Please help. Thank you."

"Before you do anything else,

"Before you do anything else, check the condition of the cooling water hose connector in the outdrive. It looks like a thermostat housing and it is located between the drive and the exhaust bellows. Here is how it looks:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-2778&returntopage= 80240788.htm

Those hose connectors do fail a lot due to corrosion, and when they get perforated the raw water pump sucks air. The good news is that they are cheap and easy to replace."

I was told that there was a bu

I was told that there was a bushing or something in there and that is what sucks the air. is there a thermostat anywhere that could be faulty? Htere looks like there might be one on the right side of the "radiator" ? there is also something that looks like a tube that one of the water pipes is coneceted to that comes from the sea pump. What is that for? I opened it up and there looks like there was water or something in there. I will replace that part you were talking about. Thanks and hope you could help out further.

one more thing. If my timing w

one more thing. If my timing was off a liittle could this cause some overheating. And what about my little smoking problem.

"There is a thermostat inside

"There is a thermostat inside the engine (located forward of the intake manifold), but they are not notorious for failing. Most of the cooling problems in your engine are caused by either a corroded hose connector, a faulty impeller in the raw water pump, a choked raw water strainer, and a plugged-up exhaust manifold. A loose pump/alternator belt can also give you cooling problems.

I think that the "something that looks like a tube" is the raw water strainer.

If you are unfamilliar with your engine, you can download a brochure from this link

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/older_engines_1/2002/ gasengine/sterndrive/

and the operator's manual from this one:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marineengines/operators_manual/

For some strange reason, Volvo doesn't seem to have an English version of the operator's manual for the AQ131C, just the Swedish, German, French, Spanish and Italian versions.

If you are considering doing your own repairs/maintenance, or just fiddling with your engine/outdrive, I strongly suggest that you get hold of a copy of the Seloc and/or Clymer shop manuals covering your engine."

"Edward, I don't think tha

"Edward, I don't think that having the timing a bit off could cause any significant overheating. Also, I think that what you call "white smoke" may be steam from not pumping a high enough volume of raw water. Again, I suggest you check the hose connector, as all of them (aluminum version) do fail: it's not a matter of "if" but rather of "when" they fail."

okay. I will do that. I just s

okay. I will do that. I just saw that my motor is a 131d. Is that the same. sorry for the mix up. and is there anywhere else that I could get that part? I spoke with someone and they said that I could be the pick up tube in the outdrive or sterndirve??????

"The manual should cover both

"The manual should cover both of them.

If you have the boat out of the water, checking the condition of the water hose connector can take one minute and a screwdriver. Just unscrew the hose clamp and pull the hose from the connector. If the connector is corroded, replace it. If it is not, then you can look further for the source of the problem."

thank you. I could see that th

thank you. I could see that the seal out around the connector is corroded. I hope this works. Thanks again.

Well I was not able to get tha

Well I was not able to get that part off myself. I was told that the seals in the outdrive there could be bad and it is sucking air instead of water. They also said that I could do something by drilling a whole in the boat and running a pump straight to the motor to cool it that way. But do you need something to cool the outdrive with as well and is there anyway to tell if the water pump is bad on the engine? I am getting ready to take this boat in but would like some last minute help if I could save some money.

"Why were you not able to remo

"Why were you not able to remove that part? It just takes a 3/16" allen wrench as you may see in the picture, and you can access the hose clamp with a stubby screwdriver.

25013.jpg

Replacing that part would cost you $30-$40, and replacing the impeller probably around $30. Why would you complicate your life by drilling a hole in your boat's hull that may (or may not) give you the desired effect?"

i was able to get the part off

i was able to get the part off and replaced. I also flushed water through all the lines and water is flowing through. There is one line that the water was not flowing and I took the line off and if was bone dry. can't upload pictures but it is on the lefft side of the motor connected to the back of the heater exchange and runs to the back by the exhaust. It is a bronze pipe. Took it off of the back of the heater exchange adn no water came out. Is there a way to see if the water is flowing through the heater exchange?

"The next step is to check the

"The next step is to check the raw water pump. You will have to take the pump apart and inspect the condition of the impeller and also make sure that there is a Woodruff key between the impeller and the shaft; make also sure that the pump coupling is in place.

The raw water strainer should also be opened and inspected.

And if all is OK, make sure the exhaust manifold does not have choked water passages."

those are all okay. I just rep

those are all okay. I just replaced the raw water pump myslef a few days ago. The whole thing is brand new. The stariner is fine and there is nothing in there at all. I don't think there is any water going to the exhaust from the pipe on the left side there.

"Is this the pipe you are talk

"Is this the pipe you are talking about?

25092.jpg

If so, you could have either a plugged heat exchanger or a blocked exhaust manifold. If you disconnect the copper pipe from the exhaust manifold and the rubber hose connector between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe, then you can try to run water through the exhaust manifold with a garden hose through the hole where the copper pipe is connected and see how much flow you get. It is not uncommon to find blocked water passages in exhaust manifolds, in which case the solution is either boiling them or replacing them."

Yes. This is the pipe. I check

Yes. This is the pipe. I checked the heater exchange and it is not plugged. There is not water getting through this pipe at all. There is no water coming out from the housing that I replaced at all when hooked up to the garden hose. Water is getting everywhere when poured in manually just not getting sucked up. Is there a possibilty that I have some clog in the outdrive? when hooked up to the garden hose without the housing on how much water and at how much force should it be coming out of.

"As you may see, there is only

"As you may see, there is only a tube between the hose connector and the cooling water intakes (part 10 in the picture). Not much can go wrong there. It the cooling intakes are clear, the tube is clear and the hose connector is clear (and correctly bolted to the outdrive with a new gasket), the problem is not in the outdrive.

25100.jpg
"

"I understand that. But when t

"I understand that. But when the engine is not running and the garden hose is hooked up, there is no water coming out of that hole. That is why I think it is clogged."

"If you think the blockage is

"If you think the blockage is in the outdrive, then I suggest that you remove the hose connector and run a piece of wire through the cooling tube to look for and clear any possible obstruction. Also make sure that the water intake grids are clear in the lower gear unit.

Another test you can do is to remove the cooling hose from the outdrive, attach a 1" diameter PVC pipe to it, fill a large pail with water, introduce the PVC pipe on it and start the engine. If the water now circulates through the engine, then you know where your problem is."

thanks for the advise can you

thanks for the advise can you give me the firing order on the engine. the crank was locked up had to pull all the plugs to spray luberciant in the cylinders but mark the plug wires.

Back