Logo

43 MPI surges and stops

ridgeydidge

"Hi All, this is my first post

"Hi All, this is my first posting, I am not very mechanically minded but I have a modicum of common sense.
I have a 4.3 MPI Mercruiser V6 sterndrive purchased in 2004. It starts okay but surges or stops under load or when the throttle is advanced. It appears to be fuel related.
I have changed the fuel filter which had only a small amount of water present and I have checked the fuel tank breathers which seem alright.
I am not sure what I should do next and would welcome any advice.
Greetings to all from the Land of Oz."

Look for "Installing carbu

Look for "Installing carburetor kits" and the response from Troy; service bulletin.

"Not sure what Guy is telling

"Not sure what Guy is telling you....
You need to get a fuel pressure guage hooked up. sounds like you have no presure, due to a bad ppump or something in the pump CKT .
Hope this helps. allan"

allanova:

It's Merc&#

allanova:

It's Merc's bulletin for determining if the carb is the problem or not. It seemed to fit his problem.

[b]It's Merc's bulleti

It's Merc's bulletin for determining if the carb is the problem or not. It seemed to fit his problem.
He does not have a carb. It is an MPI engine
Just sayin.

"Thanks. Another "duuuuhh

"Thanks. Another "duuuuhhhh" for me. I need to get out of the house more often in the winter.
crazy.gif
"

"G'day Guy and Allanova,

"G'day Guy and Allanova,
Still looking for the problem but I wanted to say thanks for your input.
Hopefully I will be able to test the fuel pressure at the weekend.
I will let you know how I make out."

Check the throttle body for a

Check the throttle body for a buildup of grime on the throttle plate and throat. Also check the IAC (idle air control) for the same grime.

"First of all, if you have any

"First of all, if you have any experience from troubleshooting carbed engines those skills does not apply when it comes to MPI systems.
The ECM (computer) always tries to keep the engine running and it may compensate one fault by creating another so the symptoms you see may be totally different from what you could expect at first thought.
To start with you mentioned 'some water in the fuel filter'. This is a warning sign since the fuel pumps are VERY sensitive to water. Check the fuel pressure under load and verify. Make sure you understand what you're supposed to see on the gauge.
Also, make sure you have fresh spark plugs in. The use of platinum plugs most often misleads you to believe they will run 'forever', or at least 300-400 hrs. The engine will run reasonably fine on low rpm with one dead plug but under heavy load/wot it will not perform 100%. If this doesn't help, check compression. If ok, try to find a scan tool (or a tech. with one) and verify sensor values under load. Grime on throttle plate or fault codes will probably not be found."

Back