Logo

Sending unit

spes

"Hello,
I have had it with on

"Hello,
I have had it with one thing or another always going wrong with the fuel tank electrical sending unit,or guage,or wiring etc.
I am going to purchase a Moeller mechanical sending unit.
My question is the correct length/depth to get.
I have a 65 gal fuel tank. When I removed the electrical sending unit the arm measures 8". The tank depth measured 12". I thought 1 " left in the tank was a standard,,,,so wouldn't a 10" mechanical sending unit be ok?
It just seems to me using a 8" your only reading 2/3 of your capacity.
Thanks,,"

"Michael:

you can always go

"Michael:

you can always go shorter and know you have somme 'reserve' if you get to "E". I'd suggest calling them direct and ask for their recommendation. this is from their www site; it won't cost you anything but time:

For all aftermarket product information, please contact:
Moeller Marine Products
801 North Spring St.
Sparta, TN 38583
Tel: 800-432-8344 or 931-738-8090
Fax: 931-738-9835"

"Michael - I agree with Makoma

"Michael - I agree with Makomark that calling them would be a good idea - they may be able to tell you right over the phone. However, you still need to make sure the "swing" in the float goes to near the bottom of your tank. That is, measure from the bottom of the mounting plate to the bottom-most point of the float on the swing arm when it is fully depressed - that needs to cover the 12" in your tank. You can shorten this "throw" distance up to about 2" by sliding the float up the arm and readjusting the gromments that hold the float in place. If you do shorten it any significant amount, you will need to also cut off the excess piece of the swing arm that extends beyond the float."

Back