Logo

Installing carburetor kits

bamaboaters

"Morning All,

I am going to

"Morning All,

I am going to be installing carburetor rebuild kits on my 1991 5.0 2bbl Mercruiser engines.
(These engines power my Regal Commodore 270)
I was looking for any input on this procedure that those with experience could provide.
Thanks!"

Use the specifications from a

Use the specifications from a manual vs. the sheet included in the kits. Replace the floats. Buy the carb base gaskets from a dealer; if they are Mercarbs w/a single mixture screw you want the (1/4") thick gasket for better air/fuel atomization. Take pictures as you disassemble and take notes. Replace the chokes due to age and bi-metal spring fatigue. Assemble gaskets DRY.

"Ayuh,...

And,.. Unless the

"Ayuh,...

And,.. Unless the carb can be Dunked,+ Soaked, then Blown out with compressed Air,...

You're underequiped to do the job..."

"After carbs are assembled, lu

"After carbs are assembled, lubricate the throttle and choke plate bushings w/a light machine oil. Change all your fuel filters to prevent contamination of the cleaned carbs. Mixture screws should always be turned by your fingers when presetting the mixture distance out 1.25 turns from the needle seats."

May sound like a dumb question

May sound like a dumb question but exactly what are we dunking in? Gas? Told ya it was a dumb question

As they say..."never clean

As they say..."never clean anything with gas"

I'm sure none of us has ever cleaned anything with gas.

He would be soaking that carb in a bucket of carb cleaner.

Wrench

"Yeah ummm.....I knew that, ju

"Yeah ummm.....I knew that, just wanted to see if you knew!
blush.gif
"THEY" are so smart. O.K., O.K. I can be so dumb
uhoh.gif
"

"Ayuh,...

Carb Cleaner in a

"Ayuh,...

Carb Cleaner in a bucket is a caustic solution...

It's get the crud outa places the spraycan stuff won't,...
And,..
You'll never see Cleaner aluminum after a carb cleaner bath..."

never soak a marine carb in an

never soak a marine carb in any chemical bath

i use simple green and hot water in a ultra-sonic bath

I have a Merc Service Bulletin

I have a Merc Service Bulletin I will send along tomorrow. It's on a different computer.
It has the correct specs for float level and jet sizing.

"[b]"never soak a marine c

""never soak a marine carb in any chemical bath"

Ayuh,...

What's your reasoning,..??..?? We do it all the time..."

"Ultrasonic is an excellent me

"Ultrasonic is an excellent method to clean. Radiators are cleaned in ultrasonic baths along with many other items. What is the cost of the cleaning tank? If the price is over $100-200, buying one would be cost effective if you are cleaning carbs and other items regularly. JMHO."

"You would be better off havin

"You would be better off having a carb rebuilder do the work. Add all the costs up; kit,cleaners, and the worry that you did it incorrectly.Be sure to know if you did it incorrectly then it will cost you the merc tech or carb rebuilder time to review or to determine if it was the rebuild, then the possibility that the unit will malfunction and cost you a new or rebuilt carb etc. Simply spend the $180 - $200 and have it done professionally. Then all you have to do is bolt it on and go boating."

"Joe:

Good point. But, I b

"Joe:

Good point. But, I believe anyone w/some mechanical aptitude that can understand what the manual states can rebuild a 2 BBL. Getting the carb. spotlessly clean is extremely important first of all. Following the step-by-step procedures while understanding how the carb and its associated parts function together is the rest of the job. JMHO"

"BONDO

marine carbs have a

"BONDO

marine carbs have a special sealer on them, dipping it in carb cleaner removes this

also i have seen throttle shaft bushing get eaten up

OMC,YAMAHA, HONDA
they all have a disclaimer saying never soak the carb in a cleaner"

Thanks for all -
I believe I

Thanks for all -
I believe I can handle the rebuild. I worked my way thru college repairing electric forklifts. That's why I was smart enough to inquire as to anything I should know before I do this.
Let's get this soaking thing cleared up.
Parts washer ? I have access to one of those.

"[b]"Let's get this so

""Let's get this soaking thing cleared up.
Parts washer ? I have access to one of those."

Ayuh,...

In our Shop, we have Safety-Clean leave us a Parts Washer, with the recycling brush for cleaning Grease,+ junk off parts....

They also leave us a Carb Cleaner,...
It's a can with a basket suspended in a caustic solution, an air motor shakes the basket... After a time we rince in water, blow dry,+ start rebuilding...

I hear you can buy a "Kit" of sorts at the Parts Houses which has the solution, basket,+ pail, but with no shaker of course...

I guess J-I-T,+ I are going to agree to disagree,...
The only Special Coatings I run across on marine carbs is usually Mercruiser midnight black, Aka; Rustoleum Black rattlecan Paint...."

"if that is the only carbs you

"if that is the only carbs you rebuild then that is it

each marine carb has a coation on it, including the eledbrocs

Omc outboard carbs are platic, i hope you will never soak those

if you never have worked on a carbed outbaord, they all have coatings on them

volvo penta has the red paint over the coating"

JUST-IN-TIME:

Is the coatin

JUST-IN-TIME:

Is the coating you speak of the same used on auto engine TBs? I know to use the less volatile "Throttle Body" spray cleaner on them. Carburetor spray cleaner should never be used on TBs due to the coating; it will be removed by the carb spray.

No

The reason why you do no

No

The reason why you do not want to spray stuff into TB or MPI's is that it will screw up the sensors

You should see what they want use to do with the new cat motors out here in CA!

Winterizing just went up $200!!!

it is a sealer that prevents moisture

"<center><table border=1><tr><

"<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">
[url=""][b]97_08.pdf[/b][/url] (50.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

The aforementioned service bulletin."

"JUST-IN-TIME,
[b]if you neve

"JUST-IN-TIME,
if you never have worked on a carbed outbaord, they all have coatings on them

Just curious, what type of coating are you referring to other than paint, of which I have yet to see on an outboard carb. If there is some kind of special coating I would like to know more about it. Could you please fill me in.
Thanks"

"Yamaha carbs a natrual color

"Yamaha carbs a natrual color and with a sealler,coating what ever you want to call it

john/rudes some use the plastic carbs, which will melt in chem baths

Honda use a tan paint to cover up the sealent

PWC is either blue or black painted over the sealer

If you have ever go to factory training and go to the 2 stroke classes, ask the teacher

factory manuals have this in bold righting, i know OMC did is big letters

It is to keep the salt air out

Why don't you guy call a manufacture and ask for the tech guys and then ask im going to soak my carbs in a chemical bath. see what they say, because i know the answer already"

"JUST-IN-TIME,
Correct me if

"JUST-IN-TIME,
Correct me if I am wrong. Are you talking about the sealant that is used around expansion plugs, round lead shot plugs etc. used to seal drill passages, or are you talking about a sealer that the whole carburetor is sealed in? I got you on the OMC carbs, that is plastic but I don't call that sealer. I'm very well aware of the sealant used around passage plugs but know nothing of a sealer used on the whole carburetor."

"No, the whole carb body has a

"No, the whole carb body has a sealant, coating on it

OMC carbs are plastic no sealer on some motors, the motors with carbs have a sealer on them

When i was in merc,yami,BRP,suzuki,honda school
they all told us there is a sealant on all marine carbs and do not use a chem bath, because it will eat away the sealant.

An auto carb has no sealant on it, so it is OK to soak

I'm just posting what the factory tech's told us so I'm taking there word on all this. If 1 just said it then i would be hesitant, but they all said it

If you soak them and they are OK, then keep doing it. I never have had to soak a carb in chemicals

I use simple green in a hot water bath in a ultra sonic cleaner

Yamaha sells a carb cleaner soulution, but it is right at the flash point of my temp on my cleaner, so i do not use it"

Back