Logo

Question about cleaning solvent

junieb247

"Hi, BACK again...bellows arri

"Hi, BACK again...bellows arrived and so removal and replacement was going to begin. However, water did get into the u-joint bellows and there IS a little rust. Now to me, that means that we have to decide if it's a job to attempt removal or not. If changing fuel pumps, brakes, water pumps and alternators on cars counts as having enough expertise to figure it out, then we'll give it a try. No marine repair experience here!! What do you think...if following the SELOC manual...which explains entire stern drive removal but is not really clear for some smaller more specific tasks? The U-joint will have to be removed, cleaned and inspected, then replaced. What do you think?

Also, if we're gonna go for it, what kind of solvent do you recommend? Since we are totally new to marine maintenance, we haven't a clue what to buy or where to find it, but assume a marine shop is best? We are going to get the perfect seal, but what to use to clean the u-joint and then grease it...a specific brand best? Don't know if we can git'er done befor Labor Day, but want to!! Thank you for your help, as always!!"

"Hi,

You get "marine re

"Hi,

You get "marine repair experience" by working on "marine equipment", so now is a good time to start if you haven't done it before. The Seloc or Clymer manuals will guide you through the process, and what is not specifically mentioned there you can either figure it out or post here a question.

Since the boat is "new to you", I think it would be cheap insurance to install new u-joints, especially since it seems the current joints have been exposed to water.

If you have never replaced u-joints, these links will give you an idea about the process. It is not rocket science, and it should take you less than one morning to have your outdrive ready if you have some suitable tools at hand. Yeah, some of the pictures are from car axles, but a u-joint is a u-joint.
biggrin.gif

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/gallery/albun09

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

Regarding solvents, I use Varsol (paint thinnner) and acetone, depending on what I am going to clean. To clean the grease, use a dry rag, then a rag soaked in acetone to wipe the residue.

Regarding the grease, any EP-2, lithium based, water resistant moly grease will do. I use Tech 2000 from Wal-Mart; not a "marine grease" per se, but it works for me."

"COOL! Now what would you use

"COOL! Now what would you use to get those huge screws on the fork loose? I have a feeling the guys that worked this boat over before the sale didn't do anything to the drive and whoever did didn't use Perfect Seal! Have used WD-40, but that really hasn't done any good. Think I've heard a product mentioned, but can't remember what it was! Gibbs Brand penetrant?"

"What you call "screws&#34

"What you call "screws" are not screws, but hinge pins. They are not threaded, and they are kept in place by means of one allen head screw each. To remove them, remove first the allen head screws (be careful not to break them, other wise you will have a BIG problem). Then you will have to move the steering to keep the helmet and the yoke away from where the hinge pin is. Then, your best bet is to use a brass rod and a hammer to drive the hinge pin from outside towards the bellows side. Once you have them out, clean the holes and the pins. When assembling them back, grease pins and holes with water-based grease (I use Special Lubricant 101 from Quicksilver); the pins should go then in the hole with finger pressure. Then, you will have to use a flat screwdriver to rotate each hinge pin until you find the position where you can introduce again the allen head screw which will secure the hinge pin in place. Do not forget to coat the threads of the allen head screw with Perfect Seal, you will be glad you did next time you have to remove them.
biggrin.gif

If the allen screws and hinge pins are seized, you may have to use a propane torch to heat the area of the transom shield where they are located so that you can remove them."

"Well DUH. Got sidetracked wo

"Well DUH. Got sidetracked worrying about the U-joint and completely overlooked that. And had seen it several times, too! Already removed the allen screws and was trying to TURN the pins out, not drive them through to the inside of the yoke.
blush.gif
Good grief. I know we read those instructions about the hinge pins...but at some point lost it. What would we do without you to put us back on track? He actually was out looking for a LARGER screwdriver to buy, too. Oh, let's all have a good laugh on us...and then we'll try again the CORRECT way. I will ensure the manual does NOT sit on the end table (where it WAS) when we head back out there! Thanks AGAIN, Pescador."

Back