bobnlee2k

I have a 1977 SeaRay with a OM

I have a 1977 SeaRay with a OMC 235 (351W)electric
stringer and it currently has an I/O unit with
"190" on the top of the I/O housing.
What OMC I/O stringer electric shift units are
compatable with the OMC 235 motor.

"I was asking because I was wo

"I was asking because I was wondering if my OMC235 was a mismatch to the 190 sterndrive unit.
Why?
I read an earlier account about when the boat was revved up to certain point the sterndrive made a loud bang. As long as the revs were kept below that point the boat ran okay.
I've got a similar problem. But, mine is on an electric shift unit. I'm planning on taking the unit apart in the next few weeks.
The oil in the top unit had water in it and so did the lower unit when I checked last fall.
I drained and refilled with the recommended lube for electric shift units and still had the problem.
I gotta order a lower/upper seal kit and water pump kit.
I hope that's all. But I don't want to bet on it.
I'm still learning about these drives and I'm amazed at how tough they really are."

"yes it's a mismatch. 190

"yes it's a mismatch. 190 was behind a 302.
But that has nothing much to do with your symptom.

The jumping out of gear may be due to the water in the lower. Water conducts electricity and can therefore short out the clutch coils in the lower unit. The special "type C" oil that you used in your lower is a high resistance oil to prevent that, but when water gets in it can disengage.

btw, you don't actually need to use that $pecial oil in your upper, or intermediate.... just the lower where the electric coils are.

More common is a broken clutch spring tang or tab. You'll see when you take the lower apart.

When you disassemble your upper, you can count the teeth in there and compare to the link I posted above to see if you have 190HP gearing or 235HP gearing.
Either way, if you have the right propeller, a 190 may work ok behind your 235 hp motor.
Gear ratio and prop pitch factor together to provide the correct WOT engine rpm."

"Cool!

So, the 80W900 stuff

"Cool!

So, the 80W900 stuff will work in the upper unit okay?
The type "C" stuff is really expensive now.
I paid about $12.50 for a quart last summer."

Back