Logo

Inboardoutboard

chuck6121

"hope i'm not in wrong for

"hope i'm not in wrong forum, Im going to get a boat for free with inboard/ outboard . going to go look at it tonight. It has been sitting for last 14 years nothing done to it. where would i find engine size and kinda of engine it has and what kinda stern drive ... Do you all think it is worth a look see?
thanks chuck"

"I have found out in life that

"I have found out in life that nothing is free. what is the reason that the boat has set for 14 years? A boat that has set this long will need some serious attention to get it sea worthy again. To help you figure out what kind of motor is in it and what type of drive requires a little more information. Take a camera with you and take pictures of the engine and drive with a look at the pictures i may be able to tell you more. I have noticed that on boats from the mid 80's and newer that the manufacture's love to place there name,s just about anywhere they can find room on the engine or drive.look for(OMC,Cobra,Mercruiser, Volvo etc.) if you can find a tag with model numbers make sure to copy them down. Look for any numbers stamped or on a tag on the engine for example 3.0, 4.3,5.0,5.7 or if it has ford or chevy anywhere on the engine sorry that I could not be of more help at this time but take pictures and post them and maybe i can be of more assistance."

"thanks Michael,
he lady i

"thanks Michael,
he lady it said that it ran but that something was wrong with engine but can't remember what she thought it might have a 1966 chevy motor in it. If that makes sense .. I will look for all numbers that I can tonight. This boat was not used in saltwater at all and will not be. doubt that it makes much difference haveing set that long."

"google image search function

"google image search function will help with your questions of what kind of engine and drive.
type in mercruiser, omc and all the others listed on the forum menu page of this board - colours, shapes, and logos will be available there.

A boat that has been sitting motionless for 14 yrs. can be a jewel ...just awaiting polish.

More often it's a heap of junk. Find out what it costs to dump it in your local landfill before offering to haul it away. It can cost upwards of $500 to dispose of a boat in some areas.

Check trailer tires for rot and trailer frame for failing welds, cracks etc.

I used to part boats on eBay- I would generally offer around what the trailer is worth +/- $100 or so. "

Back