Logo

1990 Four Winns 2 57 OMC Cobra

landlocked

"Hi All!
Great site! Please

"Hi All!
Great site! Please bear with me, I'm mechanically useless.
biggrin.gif

I have a 1990 Four Winns 225 with the OMC Cobra 5.7L. The motor and drive have approx. 350hrs. I've had it for one season decided to research fixes for the shifter and sure had my eyes opened.
I'm trying to keep this boat as reliable as possible so if I'm removing the drive to adjust the throttle cable is it worth considering a drive replacment to something like a Volvo drive? If so, what drive is recommended? Also, how many engine hours are "acceptable?" I have young kids and want the boat to run as new but can't afford a brand new boat.
rofl.gif
"

"don't develop internet ba

"don't develop internet based panic. People have put 1000 hours a year on a Cobra drive. If you maintain yours it can certainly live another 350 hours...which would get you to the year 2028.
If you can't afford a new boat, you probably can't afford to spend $6000+ for the Volvo drive conversion.

sterndrive.cc is working on a reproduction Cobra drive"

"Andy....don't know if you

"Andy....don't know if your yanking our chain or not with this line from your post "so if I'm removing the drive to adjust the throttle cable"
lol.gif
but you may want to consider picking yourself up a manual for the engine/drive, well worth the investment, just click on the engine manual icon up on the top left side and you can get the OMC factory one from this site. Plus there's a lot of really helpful guys that hang out here so don't hold back with the questions."

"Thanks fellas!
Hy Stat, than

"Thanks fellas!
Hy Stat, thanks for the wakeup call!
lol.gif

I definitely do have a case of the Winternet here in frozen Southwestern Ontario. (by the way, I could afford the drive change but can't afford the divorce that comes with spending 60+k for a new boat that doesn't do anything different than mine)
Bob, I guess I should rephrase what I meant
biggrin.gif

The shifting on my boat is terrible and I read the article on how to adjust the shift linkage and it mentioned removing the drive.
I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be replacing without an entire engine conversion to ensure it's reliable as possible."

"I knew that's what you me

"I knew that's what you meant Andy (I was just yanking your chain)

I would caution you though not to just go and dive into any adjustments without understanding what the real problem is. When you say the shifting is terrible, can you be more specific?

For example does it go into either gear ok from neutral but is very hard to pull out of gear? If so that can be many things one of which is an electronic module called an ESA, (electronic shift assist).

Are you planning on doing some of the work yourself or take it to a shop?

ps...some of us are also from frozen Ontario, I'm on Lake Simcoe, I think Hy Stat is around Lindsay or Peterboro (or somewhere between?) and then we have Frank....if he tells you he'll get you a coffee (Timmies), well don't hold your breath
biggrin.gif
"

"Thanks Bob! I'm in Inger

"Thanks Bob! I'm in Ingersoll but boat is in Long Point!
The shifting is exactly as you mentioned, OK from neutral either way but pulling out of gear not so good, very stiff! ie. when docking and having to go from forward to reverse quickly. I won't be doing any of the work myself. (surprise, surprise, I know)"

"Hi Andy

These two fellows

"Hi Andy

These two fellows Know there stuff. If they can't help you no one can.
thumbs_up.gif

And Bob I will be on lake Simcoe this weekend. See you there. ( with your Timmie's )
Fox Inland around 5 am.
rofl.gif

Frank"

"Frank.....I don't know if

"Frank.....I don't know if anyone told you but the water around Fox Island right now is very very hard.
happy.gif

Actually I've got to go up to my boat this weekend, marina called me the other day and it looks like one of my trim rams or hydraulic hoses let go, got power steering fluid all over the ice under the port drive. I can't believe the damn thing breaks even when I'm not using it
sad.gif
"

"You been around boats a lot m

"You been around boats a lot more then I have but one thing I have learned. They never stop costing money.
lol.gif

Hope yours is just a cold leak."

Back