Logo

Repainting Sterndrive

jklock

Has anyone used Alumiprep 33 a

Has anyone used Alumiprep 33 and Alodine 1201 to strip and coat their aluminum outdrive? Reading the MSDS' on these shows that their pretty hazardous and risky to use at home. Prekote is a much safer a alternative to Alodine but I'm not sure if you still need a cleaner with that first.

Here's what mercury marine says to use for several steps in repainting a sterndrive but this probably pre-dates Prekote. The Air Force went to Prekote on its jets. They try to keep the F16s out of the water as much as possible though.

3. Apply DX-533 (Alumiprep #33) to clean and condition the aluminum.
4. Apply DX-503 (Alodine #1201) brush on chemical conversion coating for aluminum.
5. The DP-40 (Epoxy Chromate Primer) mixed with DP-401 Catalyst can now be applied. A .75 mil film build is recommended.
...etc.

"Ayuh,...

I Donno,..

I s

"Ayuh,...

I Donno,..

I shoot mine with a rattlecan of Rustoleum Black whenever I get the chance...

Holds up just Fine for me..."

I have used the Dx-533 and 503

I have used the Dx-533 and 503 follwed by spray can zinc chromate then black laquer with great success in salt water.

"If you keep the boat in the w

"If you keep the boat in the water, it makes a huge difference. You'll want to have anti-fouling paint. Don't use anything with copper in it on aluminum. Interlux makes a decent anti-fouling paint for props and outrdrives. www.yachtpaint.com"

"I've used Tremclad in the

"I've used Tremclad in the past but found that it will blister after a season of being constantly under water. While tied to the dock for the whole summer, with the motor (outboard, not sterndrive), tilted up only the skeg stays in the water. The skeg would be all blistered, but the area just above the water line stays nice and shiney. I was told to use Zinc-Chromate primer to stop the blistering. I never tried it.

Wrench"

"FWIW
I have a buddy here tha

"FWIW
I have a buddy here that paints airplanes, among other things, and he told me last summer that zinc chromate wasn't available in Canada anymore as it is environmentally dangerous.

But he still uses some sort of green under coating type stuff. So if any one is looking for zinc chromate, it may not be around any more. He's painting a prop for me in the next few days I'll pick his brain when I pick it up.
Bert"

Back