Logo

Drive removal

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
spring time is only six weeks

spring time is only six weeks away and it time to get the boat ready for the lake it is a 87 cobra dog clutch drive and most of the services have been done (changeing fluids tune up etc.) I found a crack in the exhaust bellow and i'm getting ready to attempt tp replace it. After you remove the six bolts that hold the upper drive to the gimbal bearing housing will the drive unit come off then or are there cables or linkages that need to be unhooked or removed? Next question is do you remove the gimbal housing by removing the two screws on the sides that let the drive pivot up and down or do you diassemble the top and bottom that let the drive pivot left and right. I also want to adjust the shift cable while I have the drive unit off. I have ready and printed off the hastings adjust that I found in the thread that is under 1990 king cobra no reverse if anyone has illustrations to go with that procedure they would be very helpful last question is can the shift cable be adjusted with removing the drive and gimbal housing or will I have to remove the part of the housing that is bolted to the transom? thank you in advance Michael

[i]After you remove the six bo

After you remove the six bolts that hold the upper drive to the gimbal bearing housing will the drive unit come off then
yes

if anyone has illustrations to go with that procedure they would be very helpful

I have the factory videos available

Back