Logo

Stuck Intermediate shaft

billik

"Hello, first time poster, lon

"Hello, first time poster, long time reader of this forum.
My question is similar to the previous poster. I'm working on an 84 stringer and all sorts of persuasion will not free the intermediate shaft. My OMC book says to pry the shaft out. The ball gear offers a nice place to pry against except the case is the only other thing for the other side of the pry bar. I've put as much pressure against the case as I dare too. I don't see how it's possible to spray penetrating oil onto the splined end. I also have some pullers with lots of combinations available but none have legs to rest against the transom/gearbox while grasping the ball gear. The boat has a thick transom, I had it built that way so it is probably strong enough. It's a custom built Starfire. The shaft needs replacement because the cap came off allowing the nut & shaft to be exposed to salt water with the resultant severe rust damage.
I'm sure some of you have seen this problem & know a trick that will work, without damage.
I thank you for your input"

"[i]I don't see how it&#39

"I don't see how it's possible to spray penetrating oil onto the splined end.

This is done with the engine and intermediate on the shop floor. Or better yet hanging on the crane overhead.

Definitely don't pull against the transom...

Don't pull without soaking the spline of the coupler.
No tricks unfortunately , just time, labour, and patience"

Back