Logo

Grinding when putting 2005150 hp mercury in gear

raybsr

"what makes my motor grind whe

"what makes my motor grind when i put it in gear?Is it normal or do i need to do something to it?
If I do need to do something to it,what is it that I need to do?I notice that some boats grind like mine and some don't."

"welcome to marineengine.com!

"welcome to marineengine.com!

gear oil full?

when you change gears do you do it in a quick motion?

if not do so!.......changing gears too slowly will shorten the life of your lower unit considerably.

my wife made the same grinding sound in mine the first time she drove my boat..........i was as nice as possible about it, but we were still too close to the dock and she says i talk too loudand embarrassed her........i tried to explain to her the motor was running and i wanted to make sure she could hear me......didnt help my case any ."

The shift motion should be a q

The shift motion should be a quick snap either forward or reverse. They are not designed to ease into gear. You might hear a clunk or thud when it shifts but this is normal

"yes a quick in gear is best,y

"yes a quick in gear is best,you dont want to bounce the dogs off of each other.
constant slipping into gear will round out the edges and couse them to slip out of gear over time"

"I have 3 gauges that don'

"I have 3 gauges that don't work,the fuel gauge,trim gauge and rpm.I removed the fuel sending unit,it had the thin flat piece of metal unattached to the sender screw.I put it back under the bolt and tightened it back up.I checked for resistance while I had it off,moving the float up and down watching the needle move up and down like it should.I gronded the gauge sender connection and the needle went to full like it should,I put it back together and it still didn't work.I checked the voltage on the sender wire and ground at the gas tank and I had 8 volts,I checked the resistance again on the sending unit and it was good.Any suggestions??"

Back