Logo

Help with recommended startup procedures

mmajesse

"I just picked up a boat with

"I just picked up a boat with 2 6v53's and am looking for help with what I should and what I have to do to light them off this spring. The boat has been laid up for 5 years, out of the water, not covered or anything. It was winterized according to the previous owner who I actually believe completely. He fully warned me of all the boat needs. Mechanically it is sound, 1700hrs on one engine, 100 on the other since rebuilds. New fuel tanks 5-6 yrs ago, (2- 200 gallon fiberglass tanks), new exhaust system at same time, batteries were new 10 yrs. ago, but have sat for the last 5yrs, so I would think they are junk. New 24"x25" 4 blade props back then also. Borg Warner gears. What would anyone recommend for service before starting them, and before entering the water. I was figuring on repacking the shafts and rudders, then probably changing the raw water pumps, maybe the oil, fuel filters, (fuel had treatment put in it when it was laid up), new batteries unless these somehow hold a charge. It currently has a total of 4 8D batteries which seems a little strong to me, please correct me if I am wrong.

Any input appreciated and I will keep you all posted of the adventures along the way.

Thanks
Jesse"

Back