Logo

Trim tab location

ajfoulds

hi everybody. i have an 89 sea

hi everybody. i have an 89 sea ray 22cc with a 5.7 260hp. my question is the boat does not seam
to get out of the water on plain the way it should. the trim tabs in the full up position are level with the hull. could that be holding the bow in the water. wot with the motor trimmed
up and the trim tabs up i'm only getting 34 mph.
the turtlemarine web site said that my 17 pitch prop is no good it needs a 21 picch. the boat seems to be plowing but when i raise in trim to get the bow up on plate i such air.should the trim tabs be an extension of the hull or should they be kept up and out of the way we not needed.

thanks john

"Ayuh,...

It Sounds like,..

"Ayuh,...

It Sounds like,...

a),.. Your motor is Down on Power,..??
b),.. Your hull is Over-weight, possibly holding water,..??
c),.. The Hull has a Hook in the bottom,..??

If the Tabs are Up,... They're Not the Problem..."

"bondo
no hook, motor do

"bondo
no hook, motor down on power. i don't think
it is holding any water. some on the new boats i
looked at have cut outs in thehull for the tabs.
and they don't hang off the back of the stearn.
with my boat the trim tabs are hanging off the
back off the stearn and in the up position the are level with the hull. other boats the trim tabs are about 3 inches up from the bottom of the hull and are angled up. what is the proper placement of the tabs. i believe mine are aftermarket and want to know if they are in the right place.

thanks john"

"Lets get to basics here... Ho

"Lets get to basics here... How many RPMS are you getting at Wide Open Throttle?... My 23 ft Chris Deep V with the same engine swings a 21" prop.
Another issue, how is your drive trimmed on the power trim, since you such (suck?) air when you trim the tabs? You shouldn't.

Yes, tabs should be slightly up from bottom of hull when trimmed up. MOST boats have "external tabs", i.e., not in a pocket without any prolems.

As others have posted, I doubt the tabs are your problem.

The proper location of the hinge end of the tabs is FLUSH with the hull, while the proper "elevation" of the end of the tab when retracted should be 1/2 inch for 9 inch long tabs and 5/8" for 12 inch long tabs ( according to the installation guidelines in my "Bennett" trim tab manual.)"

"[b]"what is the proper pl

""what is the proper placement of the tabs."

Ayuh,..

With a long straight edge,...
Mine are 1/8" above the line of the hull bottom at the leading edge,..
And, 1/2" above at the trailing edge.....

Yes, they're Bennetts...

I still don't think it's your Problem though....
How about a Compression Test,..??
A 350,+ a 17" prop should Pop that hull outa the water...."

"thanks robert. at wot 4800 rp

"thanks robert. at wot 4800 rpms. with trim tabs up and at wot i raise the drive trim to get the boat out of the water than it cavatates be for i think it should. don't get me wrong the boat rides well, but my buddy has a 22' grady with 5.0 merc and his boat seams to be out of the water more than mine. and he gets about 45 mph.

I'm not really looking for speed but if i can run at 3200rpm at 35mph i would be happier.my last boat was a 18' center console with an outboard and it rode a lot different than the sea ray deep v. with the trim tabs even with the bottom of the hull(at the up position)could they be working against the bow to keep it more in the water.

i'm siting in my chair watching the snow melt a
little bit and can't get my boat out of my head.but something is telling me they(trim tabs) are in the wrong spot.(the 17 deg prop isn't helping me. i will change to a 21 or 23 )"

"Sounds like you need to lower

"Sounds like you need to lower the outdrive when taking off. I have a 21 foot Searay with 260 HP Mercruiser and trim tabs, well had trim tabs. I took the trim tabs off, they did nothing for my boat. If I lowered them any they only slowed me down. I do all the trimming I need with the outdrive. I get the boat up to cruising speed 3200 RPM then trim the drive up for maximum speed on GPS. My boat is heavy for it's size, have upper station on aluminum tower, lot's of wind drag. Top speed 34 knots at 4500 RPM. Cruise 24 knots at 3200 RPM. Prop is 18 pitch 4 blade SS. 4 blade a little better at cruise, loose a little top end. 18 pitch 4 blade is considered equal of 19 pitch 3 blade.
I would try a 19 pitch SS prop on your boat. You friends Grady may have a flatter bottom than your Searay. I have 20% deadrise at transom and more in the middle. I can run 24 knots in 3 foot seas."

Sounds like you may have a spu

Sounds like you may have a spun prop hub. Feels like cavitation... motor revving and you're not getting out of the hole. Just a thought.

I'd start with getting the

I'd start with getting the prop checked at a reliable prop shop. Moving the tabs (depending of who made them) could be more trouble than its worth.

"yea, moving the trim tabs cou

"yea, moving the trim tabs could be a pain. when i get a chance to get to the boat i will check to see if they are on proprely. i'm going to change the prop form a 17 s.s. to either a 21 or 23. i keep checking ebay for aluminum props for cheap to see what works the best come spring

the boat jumps out of the hole but no top end. i think that i'm not used to a deep vee.i bought the boat and it had a 15' pitch and i was told everybody runs 17' pitch. but i learned that's not the case. what i thought was the problem could be just the prop."

James Norvell has given you so

James Norvell has given you some good advice. So did Grandpa "MistaHays".

"Easy there, Grandpa Gasper!!

"Easy there, Grandpa Gasper!! 39 is too young to be a grandpa. I'm just trying to get my little ladies out of diapers. Hope your back is feeling good."

"Mista Hays:

Mea culpa, mea

"Mista Hays:

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I thought you were in your late 40s.
blush.gif
Enjoy every moment with those little ladies since they'll be gone before you know it. The passage of time excellerates daily as one ages.
sad.gif
"

"Whats wrong with being in the

"Whats wrong with being in the late 40's??

Oh yah, things hurt now that never used to hurt before

Wrench"

I might have to change my litt

I might have to change my little picture at left... to something a little more sporty... like Fastjeff did.

Back