Logo

Fuel Pump

wininger07

"I have a 3.0 4 cyl Mercruiser

"I have a 3.0 4 cyl Mercruiser. I have heard that the pump cost around 230. Someone told me that I can get the same pump for a car for 40 and that there is no difference. Is that true. If so how do I find out the part number for a car. I understand that some parts have to be for aqua use but it seems like as long as I have the proper lines that the pump wouldn;t matter. So how about it. Remember, I am a po boy."

"Charles
I bought a fuel pump

"Charles
I bought a fuel pump at NAPA for $140 Cdn last year that was for marine use.
You have to have the vent tube capability on the marine one so if the diaphragm leaks the raw fuel will get sent into the carb, not the bilge.
Bert"

"I wonder - can you rebuild a

"I wonder - can you rebuild a marine pump with auto pump parts? The most often failure is the diaphragm and I'll bet they are the same. I would be looking into that, or install an electric explosion-proof pump, as I did on my 470. Think Spring! JW in Dixie"

"The one I used is a Delco mad

"The one I used is a Delco made for large trucks about 30 years ago. Just had it in my parts junk.
It has a sealed electrical connection and one end is twist-off to clean the built-in filter. When I turn on the ignition it starts "clucking" to fill the float bowl. That saves a lot of cranking, as my fuel line check valve has never worked. Lets the gas back into the tank while setting long term. Perhaps NAPA might list one. Or check marine parts places. Maybe here: MarineEngine.com? JW"

I saw a Holley electric Marine

I saw a Holley electric Marine Red on Amazon.com
today for $111.00. Bought one last year and paid more than that.It works great.

I did it on autos with not a p

I did it on autos with not a problem. The one I replaced on my boat was all ready set up for an electric. The owner before me made the change. But went with a auto electric pump. It did not do the job. Failed at high rpm's I know one of the other guys can help you out.I would only go with a marine grade electric pump. Good Luck.

"Is it hard to change over to

"Is it hard to change over to electric fuel pump?
No, very easy. Just mount the electric pump near the gas tank, as low as possible as they push better than they pull, and connect the gas tubing "IN" and "OUT" per markings on the pump. You probably already have a tubing joint you can insert the pump into. Then connect the + wire to the ignition circuit where there is 12 volts and ground the pump body to the block or back to Batt neg. I just left the manual pump where it is. No problem at normal cruising RPMs. My motor is old (1979) and, like me, it doesn't need to be overrevved. :0) JW in Dixie"

Last question. I am getting an

Last question. I am getting an electric fuel pump from NAPA that is for marine use also.They have 2 sizes. What kind of pressure do I need.(lbs)They aren't adjustable.

"Assume your motor is carburat

"Assume your motor is carburated, not fuel injected. If so, the pump only needs to achieve about 5 psi, in my opinion. Again, they push better than they pull so mount it as LOW as you can. JW in Dixie"

Back