Logo

OMC Sterndrive Lower Unit Oil

stick96

"I just bought an 82 Arrow Gla

"I just bought an 82 Arrow Glass Jaguar with a 120 HP Inline 4 OMC stern
drive in it and am trying to get it ready for the water in the spring.
It was winterized two years ago and has not been touched since then. I
am going to do some preventative maintenance on it before I fire it up
and have some questions. First, do I need to drain the antifreeze
through the drain plugs in the motor or will it flush out when I fire
up the engine in water? Second, where is the drain and fill plugs on
the lower unit and how many is there? The selco repair manual is not
clear on the different years. I have seen three or two in the book and
and have trouble locating any on my model. Third, what type of oil do
you suggest for the lower unit? The type the Selco repair manual
suggests I cannot find anywhere. I was just thinking about using what I
have seen at Wal-Mart. I am also guessing that this year does not have
electric shift? I am going to replace the motor oil too. Is there
anything else anyone would suggest doing?"

"82 is mechanical (cable&#

"82 is mechanical (cable) shift. There are 3 drive compartments.
Intermediate (attached to engine)
Upper (the top half of the drive that doesn't steer)
Lower (lower unit with prop the part that steers)
You can use Walmart 80W90 Marine gearcase oil in all 3.
Each has a drain plug and a level/vent plug. The upper top vent plug is usually a dipstick too, but it's not super useful as the difference between overfull and off the stick is about 1 teaspoon.
Then there is the tilt clutch housing port side of the intermediate. It takes engine oil, but if you have 80W90 left over it will be fine with that. Many people pump the tilt clutch full of grease due to inherent sealing problems,
You fill all 4 compartments from the bottom with a lube pump. That's why the top plug is called a vent plug - to vent air while you pump oil in from the bottom drain.
Engine takes straight 30wt, or 20W50, or 25W40.

If the engine has antifreeze in it from winterizing it is unlawful to let it flow into the lake. "

That’s what I figured so I bou

That’s what I figured so I bought an engine flush kit so I can just pump it into my driveway instead. Just out of curiosity why can you not fill each one from the top like you do on an engine? And also is the intermediate section going to be in the engine compartment or on the outside of the boat? Thanks for all your help so far.

"if you fill from the top you&

"if you fill from the top you'll trap air in there. First run, it will burp and destroy everything from lack of lube. Plus, good luck getting it in the top plug of the upper.... it would take 4 hours to get a quart in there....just spits it back at you.

Intermediate is both in and out as it sticks right through the transom. The fill and drain plugs are both outside though.

Antifreeze on a driveway is only about 2 or 3 days from being in the lake via the storm sewers.

I never use antifreeze when winterizing. Are you sure there's a/f in it?"

The people I got it from claim

The people I got it from claimed that they let all the water out of the drain plugs and then closed them up and pulled the upper radiator hose off and filled it with antifreeze. I am not even sure where the drain plugs are on the motor. I bought the Selco manual and have been disapointed that it has not coverd more in depth.

you can start the engine in yo

you can start the engine in your drive by installing a set of ear muffs conected to a water hose on the drive and use a drain pan to catch the antifreeze as it comes out

"i recently bought a 72 arrowg

"i recently bought a 72 arrowglass cheetah 1, 120 hp omc stern drive boat. didn't have an owners manual. i need to know how much oil the engine requires for an oil change & filter. i've ordered a omc stern drive owner & parts manual for the drive unit, but can't find an owners manual anywhere.
all help would be appreciated.
thanks,
bill(72cheetah_owner"

i have a arrowglass couger als

i have a arrowglass couger also but with a 70 hp evinrude on it. 1976

4 quarts with a filter change for the motor.

Maybe next time you can start your own thread.

Back