Logo

Water in engine

walt464

"I have a 1989 searay weekende

"I have a 1989 searay weekender with 5.7 merc. when I bought the boat it had a supposed rebuilt motor and a new y-pipe. The first time out the motor had a death rattle and then locked up. After pulling the motor there was water throughout. I then replaced the motor completely with a reman motor which came with all new gaskets, parts etc. Nothing was used from the old motor. Been driving it for about three months and I had went out the channel seas were rough and came back in. As i got back to the bay I slowed to an idle, I did not pull back the throttle however to create a back wash against the boat. The motor was running fine when I shut it off. I dropped anchor fished for a little while then went to start the motor and it was locked up. Pulled that motor and it had water in it.I sent it back to the company where i bought it and they said it was from where water had came back up the exhaust manifold. My mechanic that pulled the motor said that he looked into the y-pipe and the flappers were working fine and were in new condition. I had them send the motor back to me and I tore it down. One of the valves had a half moon chip out of it and had busted a hole in the head itself. I called back the company to tell them what I had discovered and they said that because of the water it cause the valve to break. The bottom line is I have another motor coming to replace this one and I want to know if it is common for backwash in these boats if so what is the fix or is there something I am missing. The common denominator between the two motors is the y-pipe but it appears to be in good shape. Any thought or suggestions?"

"Ayuh,...

Jesse,... For eas

"Ayuh,...

Jesse,... For ease of reading,...
Please use Paragraphs,...

If I didn't get lost in your alphabet soup,...

I see No mention of Changing the Exhaust Manifolds...
How Old are they,+ in What Condition,..??

It's Possible your motor is sitting Too Low in the hull,....
There Must be a minimum of 13" from the outside waterline up to the bottom of the Risers....
If it's Less than 13",... Add a set of 3", or 6" Riser Blocks to raise them...."

"Sorry for the hard read, on t

"Sorry for the hard read, on the new motor it had supposedly new exhaust and risers (Osco). I will have to check the clearance though. Thank you for the suggestion."

If there is not enought cleara

If there is not enought clearance from the top of the risers to the back deck of the boat to put in blocks is there another fix?

"Not really... (I avoided

"Not really... (I avoided the wise ass answer of... use a "Sawzall" on the deck.)

There is a fair chance that whoever replaced the risers didn't know or care enough about what they were doing to make sure the risers "rised up enough". There should be enough room under there... While not the best boats on the planet, SeaRays are decent enough and a good value. I'd be surprised if a design error of that kind was made... ( although NOT impossible!)"

Back