Logo

350 Q Engine

paula1968

"Hi,

I am looking to conver

"Hi,

I am looking to convert my RWC 350Q to FWC. I am looking for the original closed cooling parts to the "Q". I would consider a complete engine. Thanks!

Paul"

"I am looking to pick up an 19

"I am looking to pick up an 1960 36' CC. It has a 350Q and 350QL for power. This is a project boat. I do want some better fuel economy. Is it wise to rebuilt the 350Q's and somehow, alter them so that they are less gas thirsty or should I re-power with two gas or diesel 4cyl engines?}"

The cost of the repower will e

The cost of the repower will exceed the fuel savings for years. If the engines run fine I would just get them ship shape. I updated to newer Edelbrock carbs as my Carters were on the way out.

Wanna save gas and not have to

Wanna save gas and not have to hassle with repower AND prolong engine life? Have I got a solution for you!!!! Ease up on the throttles...}}

"Nice!!! Great Idea...

Yes

"Nice!!! Great Idea...

Yes you can convert to Throttle Body but it is almost as expensive as a repower. You need new manifods, throttle bodies, ECM computer to control flow and sensors to talk to the computer.

Also 350Q engines are flywheel forward and the transmissions run off the flywheels. I am unaware of this configuration being offerd today. I am sure it can be done but I wouldnt do it unless absolutely necessary.

If the boat did not have "Q" motors but standard then perhaps new 350 engines with fuel injection would work.

Many of the 35 commanders and the like had 427 fords so you need to know what engines will be in the boat.

Perhaps you should look for a boat already repowered with modern engines I have seen several out there.
then you know exactly what it will cost up front."

"The boat sounds like it was r

"The boat sounds like it was repowered already the 350Q wasnt offered in 1960 to my knowledge. As far as saving fuel there are a few options open to you convert to throttle body injection about 2300 per engine for a 600 cfm setup, repower with modern engines. A 305 or 350 multi port from crusader is about 7800 but they only make them in LH rotation so you will need to get new transmissions too, so make that 8300 to 9500 depending on the transmission. I would keep the Q's it is a good reliable basic engine parts are cheap except for intake manifolds, keep them well tuned and like Lukey said you want to save fuel and be on the water go slow. I went for a 3 hour cocktail cruise last year turning about 2000 rpm the entire time made about 10 mph and burned 14 gals of fuel with 350Q's."

"I just found out that it was

"I just found out that it was repowered, which makes sense. Also; since the engine only has 300 - 400 hours on it; I may never get the investment back in saved fuel. I will consider the breakerless high energy ignition system and maybe a throttle body system."

"Paul,

Its generally not a

"Paul,

Its generally not a good idea to convert an engine that has run for any length of time in salt water to FWC. Depending on the age of th engine your best bet would be to re-engine the boat. I see from your profile that you have a Lancer as do I. Mine is a 1969 I/O.
There is a Lancer owners website and I have started one to document the "floating restoration" of mine.

www.classicchriscraftlancers.com

http://home.comcast.net/~rfierro/site/"

Back