Logo

400 to 800 conversion

manpower

"Having problems with my '

"Having problems with my '85 400 stringer unit, was thinking about ditching it and repowering to a V-8 setup. I know the hole in the transom is huge from the old 400 drive, does the 800 stringer use the same size/larger transom hole?"

What would be the major issues

What would be the major issues involved with that conversion? I found a pretty good deal on a complete 5.7/800 setup.

"[b]What would be the major is

"What would be the major issues involved with that conversion?

Ayuh,...

You mean Besides the fact you're swapping 1 Dead Horse for another Dead Horse,..??"

"need clearance for the risers

"need clearance for the risers especially if 5.7 equipped with selectrim. A tape measure will point out any issues. Weight/HP/Hull ratings if any/ local legislation/Insurance etc...

Canada just did away with their "single vessel licensing system"...so it's up to my discretion for the most part now. When that was in eeffect, you basically had to go through a huge engineering process to change HP in a hull.

I did a 400 series swap to a V6/800 series. It was very straightforward. All wiring plugged right in. "

"When buying the boat new, the

"When buying the boat new, there was an option for the 5.7, so I am assuminging it will fit. I will definately take those measurements to be sure.
I might be one in a million, but I have had a great experience with my "dead horse". I had it serviced regularly, and have had 10+ years and about 20 trips to Catalina withour a hickup until now. I guess it is hit or miss with these things."

"if the unit is complete with

"if the unit is complete with shift converter, this will be a non- issue, but if the 5.7 is pre-1982 you would be crossing the 1981 date line in the swap going from full mechanical back to hydromechanical era ... that would be a show stopper unless you had the whole unit with shift converter. Even then, I wouldn't recommend using a hydromech shift omc. 1979-81 the only years it was used."

Back