Logo

Bell Housing Hinge Pin removal

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"Need some help. The attached

"Need some help. The attached picture is the hinge pin on the port side gimbal ring. This of course is where the bell housing to the right attaches. This is a 1966 type M per Mercury Marine. The hinge pin is threaded in the center and at the 5:00 oclock position there is a very small hole. From my manuals it appears that I can screw in an adapter that can be attached to a hammer puller.
My question is this as simple as the books make out? You just screw it in and with some care use the hammer puller to extract?
I can do simple but there is no tool like experience. By n by the transom plate/gimbal/bell assembly is on the work bench.

Well we can 86 the picture idea. I have taken a 100 kb jpg in more than 5 years. Anyway, comments."

"Cliff, don`t pay much attenti

"Cliff, don`t pay much attention to Mr Moore being immature and such..
You remove the nail type pin holding the hinge pin, and use a slide hammer to remove the hinge pin."

"John: What's w/the attit

"John: What's w/the attitude?
stop.gif
"

"Clifford,
Bondo, Guy, Al and

"Clifford,
Bondo, Guy, Al and BtDoctur along with Rod and several others have always given great advise to me. Thier advice to you to ignore John is also great advise. As a member of this forum I would like to extend an apology to you for the way he treated you. With that said, I did a youtube search when I was looking for info to remove my o.d.. One of the many mercruiser videos I found showed how to remove this pin and it seemed as easy as Bt_Doctur says it is. Just do a search on youtube for mercruiser and you will find a wealth of information in the videos there. Of course following the advise of this forums members is always a great way to go also, well with the exception of Johns advise
"

Back