Logo

From io to inboard

mcb

"I'm considering pulling m

"I'm considering pulling my 350 mag.raw water cooled,bravo 3,365 hrs. ,out of one boat and installing it in another.It would become an inboard so of course I'll need a gear.Can anyone tell me what else would be involved and what I might expect to pay to have it done.I would use the the existing smartcraft guages and would need much shorter cables as it will be a center console.Also,while its out what should be done,maybe an oil pan gasket?"

I would take a good look at th

I would take a good look at the oil pan for rust if it is a salt water boat. The oil pan gasket on 87 and newer 350 is one piece rubber and holds up real well. You will need to plumb the exhaust. What engine and gear was in the boat before? What are you going to do with the bravo 3 drive and transom unit? I wouldn't mind changing my alpha to a bravo 3.

"[b]3,365 hrs[/b]

Ayuh,...

"3,365 hrs

Ayuh,...

You might as well include the cost of a Rebuilt motor into your Budget..."

"I have read in several articl

"I have read in several articles that 1 hour of boat engine equals 100 miles comparison to a car engine. (i.e., 100 hours = 10,000 miles) Not to mention the duty of a marine apl;ication is far severe than on the road. Hence, 3,365 would equal 336,500 miles on a car engine. Anyone know a different story?....Is that a proper comparison?"

"I once had a 1983 diesel rab

"I once had a 1983 diesel rabbit that had over 350,000 miles. Engine was almost bullet proof. I just couldn't picture myself driving it anylonger. Is that close enough. lol"

"Not sure what to expect out o

"Not sure what to expect out of deisel lifespan but believe Barrow's engine is gasoline and supposedly those hours are high. Hey, I hope I can get that kind of hours out of my engines. Last 7.4L I had was good uop to about 1,500hours then always some little thing would go wrong when ready to use the boat. So I repowered with Marine Power engine...40 hours later I sold the boat. I'm sure the new owner was happy for years."

"You will probably need a bell

"You will probably need a bell housing from an engine in the "bob tail" configuration, i.e., one that has the mating bolt pattern to a marine transmission. Later bonb tails have the starter in the "up position" ( faced aft) while earlier ones had the starter down... These starters are NOT interchangeable as their rotation is different one from the other."

Back