Logo

Honda 8hp charging system

v8l

I have an 8hp kicker motor wit

I have an 8hp kicker motor with the charging system built in. I'm wondering if there is always a charge supposed to be coming from the motor or if this only occurs above a certain rpm. I idle/the motor and there is no reading from the output plug on my volt meter. The inline fuse is fine and there is continuity in all the wiring. The idea is that the kicker motor powers my electrical gear and keeps my batteries topped up. Does it only work if a battery is connected? Thanks

the more revs the higher the c

the more revs the higher the charge rate. there may be a rectifier required as some only had the ac coil

"Thanks John. If I unplug the

"Thanks John. If I unplug the charge lead and just put the volt meter across the positive and negative exposed plug prongs on the motor I should be able to measure a voltage increase, right. A mechanic told me the battery needs to be attached otherwise there is no current sent to the charge plug. Thanks"

"you should have a voltage at

"you should have a voltage at the plg which will increase with revs but a battery is not required for that test, only need to hook up a battery if that is what you want to charge"

Back