Logo

Water ice in Lower Unit

jklock

"I removed the lower unit of m

"I removed the lower unit of my Alpha Gen 1 outdrive and found about 2-3 ounces of ice around U-Joint yoke. The U-Joint has a brown, greasy watery slime around it. A quick check of the gear oil seemed to show a normal color. Should there be any water getting in there? I just got this so it's the first time I've ever opened one of these up. It's an '87 Mercruiser 4.3L Alpha drive."

the u joint is in the bellows.

the u joint is in the bellows. The lower unit is the lower half of your outdrive.
I'm guesing you removed your whole drive (not just the lower unit) and found this ice?
Was the boat possibly launched without the plug in once?

"What is the condition of the

"What is the condition of the bellows? Dry rotted? That would be another source of water entry.
snow.gif
sad.gif
"

"Thanks. The bellows look to

"Thanks. The bellows look to be in perfect condition- like new. I thought what I removed was called the lower unit, or the drive shaft housing and the particles of ice were around where the spline enters the bell housing. In other words, I disconnected the 2 trim arms then the six bolts holding the drive shaft housing? to the bell housing? and the ice fell from the area where the bell housing and drive shaft housing join and some was in side - just a few ounces. Removing the unit reveals the large universal joint that is part of the draft shaft unit and that had some brown colored grease indicating some water had gotten there. The spline part of the universal joint looks fine - no wear visible.

I think all I have to do is clean it up and make sure that I have good gaskets when I put it back together. I was just surprised to find that small amount of water there and wondered if it is unusual. Sounds like you're saying it is."

"[b]"I thought what I remo

""I thought what I removed was called the lower unit, or the drive shaft housing"

Ayuh,... You removed the Outdrive,..

The Outdrive consists of the Upper gear case,+ the Lower unit...
And,...
Yes,... Everybody is saying that there should be No water,+ No oil in the bellows,...
You have a Leak or 2 that need Fixin'...

What did the oil you drained out of the Outdrive look like,..??"

"Does the gimbal bearing turn

"Does the gimbal bearing turn w/o noise or does it seem to have ice in it? If it seems OK then pump 15 times on the grease gun to fill the bearing w/fresh WP bearing grease. If any sign of water or rust color comes out w/the old grease; replace it.
snow.gif
"

"Thanks for all the advice. I

"Thanks for all the advice. I haven't drained the oil yet. I did take a small sample from the vent opening and it looked like oil but I'll drain it once I buy replacement oil. I don't see a dipstick - my older unit apparently didn't have one.

I didn't check the gimbal bearing yet (cause I'm just learning and wasn't sure where it is - apparently in the bell housing, right?,) so I'll have to go out there during the day and check that out, once I buy the WP bearing grease. That seems to be the key point - whether the gimbal has water or rust.

Clymer's says to replace the cross and bearings of the U-Joint while I have the outdrive apart but that seems like a lot of work. Still if the bearings show signs of rust then I'll have to replace them.

Thanks for your help."

I checked the bellows. The ex

I checked the bellows. The exhaust bellow is in perfect shape. The U-Joint bellow has ice. It's 15 degrees here so the grease is sluggish. The bearing race shows signs of rust so I don't think I Have any choice but to replace the gimbal bearing which is probably a good idea anyway. Still have to check the oil in the drive.

"was the boat under water or t

"was the boat under water or the plug left in during a rainstorm? Water can get into the bellows from the inside of the boat. Bellows seal may have also be poorly done.
snow.gif
"

"Here's a picture of the i

"Here's a picture of the inside of the bellows. It has not sunk. Don't know about a rainstorm flood.
248632.jpg
"

"Ayuh,...

You've got Pr

"Ayuh,...

You've got Problems....

That picture is but 1 of them,..
Reduce the size of the picture,+ repost it,...
Or Nobody will be viewing this thread anymore...

Side-scrolling Sucks..."

"Does it look like I should re

"Does it look like I should replace the upper outdrive?

Pictures of bellows / u-joint bearing.

248640.jpg
ungly U-Joint bellows / gimbal

"Other bellows look better but

"Other bellows look better but does it look like I need a new sterndrive?

248645.jpg
more bellows"">
248646.jpg
bellows 3"">
248647.jpg
outdrive

"[b]"but does it look like

""but does it look like I need a new sterndrive?"

Ayuh,...
Hard to say, you haven't said anything about the Outdrive....

So far, I can see you need Atleast a new Gimbel Bearing,...
And,.. You've got to find out WHY there's water in the bellows...
Maybe More..."

The gear oil is light bluish c

The gear oil is light bluish color - no signs of water. No sign of holes yet in U-joint bellow.

"the bellows is 20 years old.

"the bellows is 20 years old. replace it. the gimball bearing is shot. don't try to grease. you will need u-joints too. sorry, but bearings don't like water. if water got to the shift cable, plan on replacing that too."

Bondo guessed right. The boat

Bondo guessed right. The boat took on water while the battery was dead and the bilge couldn't pump. It didn't sink though.

(I changed by handle)

Back