Logo

Prop Question

battler

Contributing Member
"Hi all
just wondering with

"Hi all
just wondering with a rubber bushed prop,does it
need to be rated differently for different Hp engines ie does it need to be "stronger" for a
140 hp than say an 85hp?

Thanks Greg"

"I can tell you what I was tol

"I can tell you what I was told by Mercury years back and that is the props are designed to safeguard the shaft in event hitting an object that would abruptly stop the engine. They are desgined for proper torgue slippage. Better to let the bushing slip or crack an aluminum blade then have to replace the shaft. I could only assume that factors such as surface area, friction, adhesion properties to the outer housing tied to some darn coefficient may be the answer. Your question is a good one and I will watch this thread for others to answer."

[b]"does it
need to be r

"does it
need to be rated differently for different Hp engines ie does it need to be "stronger" for a
140 hp than say an 85hp?"

Nope...

"Hi Greg.

The J/E models wi

"Hi Greg.

The J/E models with the small gearcase (V4/13 spline) shared a prop with models down as low as 75 horse.

I personally don't use the rubber hubbed props - nothing wrong with them (and keep one on board in case of emergency) - but much prefer the (user) removable hubs such as found on Solas/Hustler etc etc which I can replace myself, should there ever be a hub issue..."

Thanks for the responses...may

Thanks for the responses...maybe I didnt ask the right question What I am thinking is if the same prop will handle the torque of a 140 would it still release (give) to protect an 85 or even 75 HP motor

Thanks Greg

"yes, the hub on the 'big

"yes, the hub on the 'big guy' would give to protect the 'little guy'.

remember, its the torque produced that turns the shaft and prop. The hubs 'give' when an opposing force is encountered and, as noted above, are there to protect the shafts and gears at the expense of the prop's blades."

"so dont spend alot if you lik

"so dont spend alot if you like to hang out near the rocks,i will send a photo of one that got a little too close."

Back