Logo

Need info 35hp wardsclinton Sea King

wayne_g

"Found an old outboard under a

"Found an old outboard under a bench covered in dirt and junk. Amazingly it fired right up. Any info, especially fuel oil ratio, would be greatly appreciated.
Monkey Wards/ Clinton 3.5hp Sea King Model# K3504106 A
Type xtv 50435"

Appears to be a 1976 model. Aw

Appears to be a 1976 model. Awesome that it runs. Highly doubtful that 50:1 is recommended. I would guess 32:1 if not 24:1.

"Thanks Tim, I assume it uses

"Thanks Tim, I assume it uses regular 2 stroke oil? I have read where the really old ones use chain saw oil, I just havent found at what point they made the switch."

"That's kinda a grey area

"That's kinda a grey area with regards to the oil.

Some of the older models had a blended cooling system. The powerhead was air-cooled and the exhaust housing was water cooled. Guys run TCW-3 rated marine 2 cycle oil on those types without issue.

On the purely air-cooled I would tend to stick with regular 2 cycle oil, such as used with chainsaws/lawnmowers. The oil is a little heavier than the water cooled formula which will give the motor better protection since it's running hotter.

I believe the 3.5 horse, will be straight air-cooled...

I will have a dig around though - I may have a pdf copy of the original owners manual for your model which I can drop to you via email (if I have it)..."

Back