Logo

37lx 180 hp 470

1973browning

Contributing Member
"Sorry fellas but I posted in

"Sorry fellas but I posted in donzi 454 post discussion on accident. Still trying to figure out how to use this site. I"ll figure it out sooner or later. Thanks, Thomas McGee"

"[b]I have a 1988 3.7lx 180hp

"I have a 1988 3.7lx 180hp (470) that I am in the process of rebuilding. I've been doing some reading on the 460 ford head and have visited a few sites. Apparently, there is poor flow on the exaust side of an un ported head.(stock head which I think is called a d3ve head) The motor that I'm rebuilding needs a head.(the number one cylinder exaust valve seat was obliterated by water. The stock head is cast iron and as you all know the block is aluminum.Question: If I were to have a stock head fully ported would this make the engine run cooler? I know it also adds a little more power which I wouldnt mind. Also, Is there a heavy duty head gasket for this engine? Finally, Is there a way to run an external water pump and still have power steering and aftermarket alternator conversion. A place down in Florida makes a cam for the 470 without front waterpump impeller. Is there some other way to cool this particular engine?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Tom,....

Here's a C&P of Tom's post,+ Questions...."

"Tom - Porting and pollishing

"Tom - Porting and pollishing the head won't make it run cooler. I tend to believe it may be money spend unwisely unless you are looking for power. And if you are looking for power, porting the Ford head would be several items down on my list of precribed steps.

Use a marine head gasket.

I can't speak intellegently on the cooling questions."

"Tom,

I'm a Buick and a

"Tom,

I'm a Buick and aviation type and had to learn about the Ford parts due to the 470's in my Sea Ray and much thanks to the site members. The below is from a Ford site for reference and was from another 470 boater. Step through the pages to the end and you will get to their shop home link. Maybe they would do it for you. I cannot speak to their service and do not know them.
Just FYI.
Maybe some of the other members here have had experience on the suggested techniques and can comment.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/D3_specific_porting_guide_page1.html"

Back