Logo

1989 43lx Merc

sd52159

I was trying to remove the the

I was trying to remove the thermostat and it broke apart before i could get it to remove. Should this be that hard to change?

What broke apart? Thermostat?

What broke apart? Thermostat? Housing? Raw water cooled? If just the thermostat pick out the pieces and replace.

The housing is still there but

The housing is still there but broke and the center portion came out. I can not get the housing to come out.

"It's rusted in place. Di

"It's rusted in place. Dig it out and polish the chamber w/a Dremel and coarse drum.
snow.gif
"

there does not appear to be an

there does not appear to be any rust and i tried tapping to loosen it. I was also told that there might be a sleeve holding the housing in place. anybody know anything aout this?

On my 3.0l Merc there is a pla

On my 3.0l Merc there is a plastic sleeve sitting on top of the thermostat. I changed the stat last fall and had a heck of a time getting the plastic sleeve removed as it was crusted to the thermostat housing. Once I broke the plastic sleeve apart the thermostat came out quite easily.

It should just lift out and ma

It should just lift out and may need some persuasion. Post a pic if needed. Make sure not scraps fall down in the water jacket.

Back