Logo

Allignment Tool

hoseman

Contributing Member
Hello I am about to change my

Hello I am about to change my gimbal bearing and I know that the allignment tool is recomended.I was wondering if the lower unit shaft slides into the engine cuppler do you still need to use the tool?

"Ayuh,...

Changing the gimb

"Ayuh,...

Changing the gimbel bearing can Not be done Properly, Without the Alignment bar...

An old Input Shaft is Not an acceptable substitute..."

WOW!!! well i did it without t

WOW!!! well i did it without the alignment bar and have put about 200hrs so far.. maybe i got lucky? well i am hoping just lucky... ;)

"Hope your engine coupler isn&

"Hope your engine coupler isn't ruined by misalignment; very expensive part and job.
uhoh.gif
snow.gif
"

"I guess that I am missing the

"I guess that I am missing the point.What exactaly would be out of alignment if the shaft slides in ?Its not like you have moved anything .I am not questioning your advice it just seems pointless .please dont think I am second guessing your advice, Its that I want to make sense of this ."

"Everyone should check their a

"Everyone should check their alignment with the proper tool (disclaimer)

I removed my engine 2 years ago, resealed the Y-Pipe, and reinstalled. I unbolted the engine mounts from the stringers (without adjusting them) and the 2 rear mounts at the inner transome plate. I put everything back exactly like it was and the drive slipped in effortlessly. Been run over 100 hours since then. It can be done, don't force anything. If it's not easy you are going to need a tool and adjust."

"The alignment tool is a step

"The alignment tool is a step in the OD replacement procedure that should not be skipped. You wouldn't be happy if you paid a dealer to service your OD and then watched the tech. skip the alignment tool step because he was in a hurry.

Great for those who still have their boats running w/o using the tool. Use the tool when you can.
snow.gif
"

"The alignment tool is used to

"The alignment tool is used to align the engine to the transomshield(at the gymbal bearing).... this said , if the enging was aligned before the bearing was changed, why would it not still be in alignment?

the engine must be aligned anytime it is removed or replaced. this is what the TOOL is for.engin alignment , not bearing alignment.
I made a bearing itstall tool using an alignment bar and modified merc.s driver collit to slide over the bar, followed by a slide over hammer. simmelar to a fence post driver.

This makes sure of proper (Engine) alignment every time. If the engine is not aligned the bearig will not Install properly.
this is just my .02
Later allan"

"[b]"this said , if the en

""this said , if the enging was aligned before the bearing was changed, why would it not still be in alignment? "

Ayuh,...

The Gimbal Bearing is Gimbeled in it's mounting ring,...
It's a 'ell of alot easier to use the Right Tool to get it there,..
Than jury rigging it....

As for you guys who've pulled,+ replaced your motors, Without realignment,...
You were nothing but Lucky up to this point....

Alignment is adjusted by moving the motor mounts,...
A few Thousandths either way will make it or break it....
Personally,....
I'm a Mechanic,... Buying Tools is apart of the trade,....
I'd rather be Sure I have it Right,...
Than be Guessing...."

"When all things are properly

"When all things are properly aligned, the alignment tool should go in (and out) with a light push/pull of a hand. You do that and you have good alignment. I had two couplers go bad in one month on my last boat. Reason, the new young mechanic didn't think it needed to be aligned with the tool. The slight variation not only ruined the existing Gimble bearing (the second time) but spun two connecting hubs. The tool is not cheap, but neither is redoing the job with new parts if you do it wrong. In salt water, I pulled my OD every two years (min)to fully service and made sure all was aligned each time prior to re-installing the OD. Yes, I eventually bought the tool, did the work myself and then knew it was done right. I was also lucky ot have friends that work for Mercruiser Regional Service. Thank Bondo for good advise."

"[b]"An Alignment bar is u

""An Alignment bar is used to Align an engine. NOT the gymbalbearing."

Ayuh,...

Align the motor to WHAT,..??

It's the process of aligning the Motor,...To the Gimbel bearing....

"The tool is not cheap,"

They can be had from ebay, for Less than 50 bucks,....
That's Cheap...."

"Darrin, it's a good idea

"Darrin, it's a good idea to check your alignment anytime the drive is off. the reason being the engine mounts break down over time, and things move. in addition, the gimbal bearing can tilt in its housing quite a bit and make it very difficult to install the drive unless the alignment tool is used first. frankly, if the shaft slides in easily, the alignment is probably O.K. or the coupler is already worn out. (this is another thing that should be checked) hope this answers your original question."

Ive been with out the alignmen

Ive been with out the alignment tool and swapped 3 gimbals with out aligning and not had a problem. The drive may need to be forced on a bit with a mild hit of a rubber mallot. But too much force and you can cause damage - like a cracked outdrive case.

I had to break down and buy 1 when I upgraded to a V8.

"[b]"Ive been with out the

""Ive been with out the alignment tool and swapped 3 gimbals with out aligning and not had a problem. The drive may need to be forced on a bit with a mild hit of a rubber mallot. But too much force and you can cause damage - like a cracked outdrive case."

uhoh.gif
blush.gif
crazy.gif

And I thought We all hang out here to offer Good advice,..??..??..??"

"Bondo man !!!
Don't chan

"Bondo man !!!
Don't change now! You left out the " Ayuh,... "
Just not the same. I feel robbed
angry.gif
"

"I knew I'd catch heat for

"I knew I'd catch heat for writing that. I don't recommend not using the tool, but that was my experience with out one.

Sometimes you've just got to get back on the water."

Back