Logo

Turn key starting

baytro23

Regular Contributor
"Other than "pretty good&#

"Other than "pretty good", how does the Mercruiser turn key starting work? I'm talking about the carb'd engines. Do they have a computer (much like the f.i. engines) that adjust mixture and timing? I know they have electric fuel pumps which eliminates the need to pump the throttle. Will any carb'd engine with an electric fuel pump start from cold without pumping the throttle?"

"You have to open the throttle

"You have to open the throttle at least one time before cranking to set the choke on any carb'd engine. Reason for electric pump on carb'd engine is GM quit machining blocks to accept mechanical fuel pump, all cars and trucks are fuel injected."

"Mercruiser Article

Turn-Ke

"Mercruiser Article

Turn-Key Starting (TKS) System for Carbureted Engines:

MerCruiser developed the new TKS System, which utilizes a redesigned carburetor with an automatic fuel enrichment system instead of a traditional choke. TKS produces instant, effortless starts at the turn of a key – even in cold weather. Turn-key starting is now standard on all carbureted sterndrive and inboard engines. The redesigned carburetor can also be retrofitted to MerCruiser products manufactured since 1997."

"Re: "effortless starts a

"Re: "effortless starts at the turn of a key – even in cold weather."...

Yes, true as stated, HOWEVER...in HOT weather, if you leave the boat for a couple of days, the fuel in the bowl evaporates and its a looong time cranking and more than one throttle pump until the bowl fills again and the engine will start.

Consider installing a "primer" push button switch (shorts the low oil pressure sensor switch on the port side of the engine) on the boat. Pushing this switch for a few seconds with the ignition on will cause the fuel pump to run."

"Robert...

I agree. My 2005

"Robert...

I agree. My 2005 4.3 sits for about 2 weeks at a time in the summer. When I need to do the initial start, it takes a bit of cranking untill that fuel bowl fills back up. I've gone to letting it crank for about 10 secs. then letting off for about 10 secs. then cranking again and it starts right up. It will continue to start very easy for the rest of the weekend, but 2 weeks later, you must do the on,off,on thing again. I may try that push button idea of yours. Did you do that? Does it work well?
(all that cranking may get some oil to the top end before it actually fires up though, (but may be tough on cyl. walls)

Wrench"

"Works nicely... Installed the

"Works nicely... Installed the switch near the throttle. Ran some 2 conductor jacketed wire (#22) back to engine compartment, clamped and ty-wrapped to cable going from transom to engine."

Back