Logo

Proper RPM

I just finished refurbishing a

I just finished refurbishing a 1980 Correct Craft Fish Natque with a 351W engine. In geat at full throttle I only get 3000 RPM. Any suggestions?

Check timing and make sure tim

Check timing and make sure timing is advancing with RPM. Timing should be beyond 30 degrees advanced at 3000 RPM. Did you change prop? could be too much pitch.

Thanks I'll try that. I ju

Thanks I'll try that. I just need to find a place down here to buy a timming light. What should the timming be at idle?

I don't know the specs for

I don't know the specs for that particular application. Usually 6 to 8 degrees before top dead center. Timing could be correct at idle but not advancing. It would have to be about 10 or more degrees low to hold that engine down to 3000 RPM if prop and everything else is right.

"Check the advance weights und

"Check the advance weights under the points plate in the distributor. They tend to get rusty and stick.

Remove the plate and shoot some miracle jizz on them. Work them open and closed to insure the lube gets all over.

Make sure the secondaries are opening correctly. They can stick closed as well. On a Holley, they open by vacuum. At WOT there is a slot in the linkage which allows them to open on demand, but nothing forces them open. If they are stuck shut, you'll need to free them and lube the pivot.

If the engine is running correctly, and you still have WOT rpm issues, the next place I'd check would be the prop."

Back