Logo

Engine coupling

ursus

"Got an 1989 Alpha 1 connected

"Got an 1989 Alpha 1 connected to a 4.3 l engine. Very well maintained, and medium hours for age.

Had company out on sat. evening midnight, about 1 mile from my dock. Engine made a ZINNNG grinding noise and no power. No shift into F or R even though the handle moves smoothly.

I swam/towed it back with the help of a slight breeze. Bogart I'm not any more.
Mechanic said the engine coupling is shot.

Questions: Is this common? does the Zing soud correct? I'd have thought it would have gone a little at a time till it didn't lock up the torque?

Mechanic says motor mut come out ($700)and parts are $300. I can't pull engines by myself anymore, is this a reasonable price for professional job?

thoughts welcome.

Harry Sigafoo"

Harry Bogart!

If you can to

Harry Bogart!

If you can tow your boat in by swimming... that is more impressive than pulling a motor!

Engine couplers go quickly. Not like a car clutch or a prop hub. Not sure about sound though. The parts and labor look about right.

"Thanks David.
At least when

"Thanks David.
At least when I got the boat on the lift and climbed out unlike Boggie, I had no leeches on me. Some fun way to spend a late evening with friends.

Sounds like the mechanic got it right &*%&%&%

Harry"

"Harry,

Couplers need to l

"Harry,

Couplers need to lubed at least yearly, if not you will loose it. If there is no zert you must pull the out drive and get it lubed on the shaft. Also if the engine is not in alinement it will cause the rubber to melt and break down. Ask to see the coupler once it is removed and try to determine the cause. If the splines are gone it is because of no lube. Broken or melted rubber mis-alined motor. Tim"

"You should hope you are lucky

"You should hope you are lucky and it does in fact turn out to be the coupler. If it is the drive gears, upper or lower, it will be lots more $$$$ to fix.
This is also a good time to change out your gimbal bearing if it is at all iffy, as well as your exhaust and water bellows, as they are likely getting a little old and tired, if they have never been changed."

Before you pay to have the cou

Before you pay to have the coupler removed take a 12 point 3/8 socket and pull the top cap on the drive and have a look inside.

changed coupler (shot)

changed coupler (shot) runs perfect.
thanks all

Back