Logo

Right hand alpha used as a counter left

srdancer90

Regular Contributor
"I am interested in a new lowe

"I am interested in a new lower unit for the left side of my 280 Sea Ray. I am a little un easy about the after market lowers so I am looking at the Mercruiser lowers that are used. I ran across a unit, and was speaking to the owner, (apparently he is a rebuilder) and sells the units. I asked him if he had any counter lowers, he told me that the drive does not know the difference and that all I would have to do was re-locate the shift cable on my helm and use a left hand prop. I told him from the conversations that I had with previous Merc techs that the drive would not last being used in that way. He dissagreed with me. Now, who can answer this, does it matter if you use a right hand lower as a counter by just switching the shift cable?"

"Ayuh,...

That guy is Full

"Ayuh,...

That guy is Full of $h!t....

Counter-rotating Alphas are Very Different than the standard Alpha lowers....

Volvos work that way,...
But,..
Not Merc. Alphas..."

"Joe,

Bondo is right. Alth

"Joe,

Bondo is right. Although they look the same, they are very different. They don't even share the same housing. Mercruiser just lowered their price, making them much more competitive with the aftermarket ones. If you are Alpha 1 Gen II I can probably help you. E-mail me if you like.

Rick"

"Ayuh,...

If I were You Joe

"Ayuh,...

If I were You Joe,.....

I'd go buy an SEI drive in Standard Rotation, convert, switch around or over any control factors,....

And,.... Not look back....

I seriously Doubt that you'll see a loss of performance, or handling issues by going to Same Rotation drives....
BaZillions of boats out there are running Twins in the Same directions, Without ill effects...

At Worst,.... You might have to run your Tabs alittle differently...

I just Hate to see you guys Throwing money away chasing a Ghost that doesn't need to be there....."

"I agree with the above posts

"I agree with the above posts because, correct me if I'm wrong Bondo, (this is for my knowledge too) on the counter rotating lower units the gears would have to be cut in the opposite direction so the torque of the motor doesn't shear the teeth.
Ryan"

"Ayuh,...

Just go find a pi

"Ayuh,...

Just go find a picture in Mercruiser's Parts Look-up section,...
There,.. You can See the differences...

As for whether, or How it'll Blow Up,...
The forces of Gears, is either the gears trying to screw themselves Together,...
Or,..
Pushing themselves Apart...

If they're Pushing Apart, they ride on the tips of the teeth,...
Pulling together, they ride where they're set up to ride..."

SEI sells counter rotating low

SEI sells counter rotating lowers for about $200 more if i recall. I would buy again. Economical and they work.

Back