Logo

1989 Crusader 350

P

Phil P.

"I have a 1989 Luhrs with twin

"I have a 1989 Luhrs with twin Crusader 350's. Trolling with this boat has resulted in plug fouling. Also, large amounts of carbon (20' x 30') have been seen on the surface of the water upon start-up. Problem seems to be getting worse.

Also, Carbs were rebuilt last August and I recently moved ports that has reduced the run to fishing grounds from 25 miles to 2 miles or less."

"Phil where are you running yo

"Phil where are you running your boat, are you in cooler waters, when warmer waters cool in the winter i have seen that ina few boats, looks like your fuel to air ratio in yor carb in not working the way it should, have the 350 had any type of replacement, heads, intake mani, etc...?"

"Thanks for your response.

"Thanks for your response.

I moved the boat from Alpena (Northern Lake Huron) to Frankfort (Northern Lake Michigan) and believe the waters are of similar temperature.

No, I have not replaced any components.

Any insight on how to trouble shoot the fuel to air ratio?"

"How about installing an outbo

"How about installing an outboard? (Seriously.) I've seen lots of guys add a small (10 hp.) outboard to the swim platform to avoid running the big motors. They use a sailboat mounting system that lifts the motor out of the water, and steer it with the regular rudders (with the motor locked in place). They use the tiller throttle to run it, leaving it at about 1/2 throttle, instead of messing with remote controls. Works slick, and if you can find a 4 stroke outboard, your regular gas tanks can be used to fuel it.

Jeff"

"Phil your air to fuel ratio i

"Phil your air to fuel ratio is fine, the only reason I asked is becuase I had a similar problem with my old boat when I switched out the engine heads, you will have to check two things from the is point, 1)first make sure your fuel pump is working properly,
2)check the points on your distributor get adjusted if needed
let me know what you find out"

"Jeff, just had to ask how is

"Jeff, just had to ask how is a 10hp is suppose to move a boat that weights 15,000 lbs? Phil has a 1989 luhrs with twin 350's, that boat is about 35'long please excuse my ignorance, what would your top speed be if you had to travel 10 miles? I would love to see this setup I never heard of it, I usually troll out 50 to 60 miles to Marlin country in the Gulf of Mexico, seen may boats but no with this setup, thanks"

"You'd be surprised how we

"You'd be surprised how well a 10 hp. outboard--with the right prop--will push that boat along. It's not going to go 10 mph, but that's not the point, right?

I have friends who have done this and love the setup. One of them even rigged up a steering arm off the outdrive to turn the outboard, along with remote controls at the stern of his boat.

Jeff

PS: Just thought of this: At my marina there's a tiny 'tugboat' with a 25 hp. Merc they use to move boats around. I've seen it easily tug a 60 footer about, both starting and slowing it at far less than full throttle."

Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for your replies.

Looks like neither choke is working properly and I tie strapped them open until I can get them fixed correctly.

Both engines are running smooth at this point.

"another option for the future

"another option for the future is to get drag bags, they act like parachutes in the water, so you can run your engine at a higher rpm and still go slow."

Just came across this post. My

Just came across this post. My Crusader 350's have the same problem on start-up. Large area of carbon in the water when started. especially after engine sits for two or three weeks without being started. Carb sounds very rich on start-up. Any recommendations.

Back